Author Topic: Problem with Web Scanner  (Read 2903 times)

kpfuser

Problem with Web Scanner
« on: July 11, 2006, 08:31:37 AM »
The problem in question appeared when a laptop with two identically configured WinXP SP2 partitions was connected to a router. Following the same set of instructions from the router manufacturer produced different results for each partition.

To be more specific, both partitions were configured (pre router) to channel all http traffic through port 12080, i.e., through avast! WebScanner. Following the connection to the router, one partition works as before while the other fails to connect to the internet giving the error message

The proxy server is refusing connections. Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections

As a possible remedy, I tried turning off router and modem and then turning them back on. This allowed Firefox to connect initially through the proxy but after turning it (Firefox) off it refuses to connect again. However, FF connects without a problem if I opt for a direct connection to internet rather than the manual proxy configuration in the FF connection settings window.

Needless to say, I would like to continue using filtering http traffic through WebScanner for maximum protection. Any ideas as to how to go about it?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Problem with Web Scanner
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 01:51:24 PM »
Are the two installations with the same Windows Firewall settings?
Are the networks using dynamic IP or you can set static IP in both Windows installations?
Are the Internet Explorer settings for proxy the same?
The best things in life are free.

kpfuser

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 10:47:41 PM »
Yes (disabled)
Both networks use statc IPs
Presumably yes (default settings) since IE is not used and is not permitted to access the internet

I hope the above info is of help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 11:14:40 PM »
IE is not used and is not permitted to access the internet
On both computers? And what happens if you allow it to connect?

I'll need a help for the staff...

Activate logging in WebShield:
1. Edit <avast>\data\avast4.ini file
2. Find the section [WebScanner]
3. Add the line:
    EnableLogging=1
4. Restart Web Shield in XP (terminate and start again) or whole PC in case of Win98
5. Browse (trying to access some webpages)

The log file are <avast>\data\log\ashwebsv.log and ashwebsv.ws.
They would be accessible when WebShield is terminated again.
Post them here or send by mail to rypacek@asw.cz

After that, disable the logging to avoid a big log file.
The best things in life are free.