Author Topic: How to disable avast  (Read 4444 times)

tibra

How to disable avast
« on: July 11, 2006, 03:16:32 PM »
Hi,

haven't found that question answered on this forum, so here goes

I had installed the v.4 free edition. Intention was to use it for scanning periodically but NOT running any background guards permanently.

I didn't find a way to keep the program doing this, had to uninstall in order to get rid of the resident modules & processes running and staying in memory all the time.

Is there a way to have the program installed for just doing a scan now and then without all the background processes?

Thanks
tibra

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: How to disable avast
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 04:09:39 PM »
avast is not a good second, non-resident antivirus. You will mess your installation.
You could use BitDefender Free, F-Prot for DOS, ClamWin as non-resident antivirus.
AVG and Antivir have issues in this non-resident situation too.
The best things in life are free.

tibra

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 05:40:59 PM »

>avast is not a good second, non-resident antivirus<

I knew this already, thus my question. Your answer translates to NO, Avast cannot be disabled and kept, it must be uninstalled to get rid of it's resident modules. Like also Antivir and possibly others if not most antivir progs, as it appears.

Regrettable.

Thanks anyway

tibra

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 11:33:51 PM »
I knew this already, thus my question. Your answer translates to NO, Avast cannot be disabled and kept, it must be uninstalled to get rid of it's resident modules. Like also Antivir and possibly others if not most antivir progs, as it appears.
You can try to set all services to Disable or manual mode and avast won't load...
But, could be conflicts at driver level (legacy drivers on Windows Registry keys if you know what I'm trying to tell...).

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 12:01:23 AM »
Yeah, you can do that but you have to disable services and startup entries manually.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 12:54:52 AM »
Yeah, you can do that but you have to disable services and startup entries manually.

Because of this, I've posted this:

avast is not a good second, non-resident antivirus.