Author Topic: Avast Internet Security ransomware detection has blocked .ex file  (Read 1664 times)

Offline dclarkbillericay2

• I was an IT Controller for Intl Banks retired 2000
I have Avast internet security with latest update. I ran a well known programme Calibre which sorts my ebooks. I have never had a problem with this until the latest update from Avast 23.2.1.13660. Whilst exchange ebook files between my various hard drives. Avast came up with a ransomware warning. This was strange in the first place as all these files were already on my PC. However, I took the warning and (I think) stop the action, then ran a full PC scan.
Now each time I try to run Calibre I am stopped with a warning 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item'. On checking the security in properties on the Calibre file, the permission are all greyed out and cannot be changed. I then tried to add a further user 'everyone' and could then give authority.
However, on coming out of the properties it again stopped me.
I then carried out a repair on Calibre and it then worked ok, except when I tried to use later again the same message came up.
Somehow Avast has managed to input a code which excludes me from using my software.
I also tried exclusions on Avast C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\calibre.exe and C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\app\* all without any result.

Can advise or assist me.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast Internet Security ransomware detection has blocked .ex file
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 02:55:37 PM »
I have never had a problem with this until the latest update from Avast 23.2.1.13660.
If you right click avast tray icon and select about, what avast build do you have?

This is the latest listed here 18.6.2349  >> https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=221320.0

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
Re: Avast Internet Security ransomware detection has blocked .ex file
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 10:45:21 AM »
It sounds like some of the ebook files were in folders being protected by the Ransomware Shield. When the Calibre program tried to move the files, Ransomware Shield detected it; if you have the Shield set to strict, it will notify you of all apps that try to make changes, not just suspicious ones. The only option on the Ransomware shield pop-up is to allow the program or block it, and it sounds like you have blocked it. Try going into the Ransomware component via Internet Security, and removing Calibre from the blocked apps, and adding it to your allowed apps to see if this solves your issues. (Open the main Avast app > click "Protection" on the left hand side > click "Ransomware Shield" tile > click "Blocked/Allowed apps" link > click "X" on right of application name to remove from blocked apps > click "Allow an app" > navigate to Calibre.exe and click open).