Author Topic: Virus scanning [Resolved]  (Read 2389 times)

Offline marcel-de-jong

Virus scanning [Resolved]
« on: October 24, 2018, 11:50:31 AM »
Hi,

I did a virusscan using windows explorer: the first drive is the C: drive, started at 14:17. A couple of minutes later, ie 14:21, i started the 2nd scan, on drive e:, also using windows explorer.
I tried to watch the scanprogress per drive, but couldn't figure out how to achieve that.
So I decided to wait till the scans had finished. After the scans were finished I pressed details and I (almost) saw the attached screen. Of course I added the 2 disk property pulldowns myself, just to be as clear as possible.
Looking at the Avast detail-screen I can't figure out how to read the information. Does it mean that I can't do two or more scans together to get proper info? Do I have to wait for the first one to finish before starting a next scan?

I think the answer will be a simple one, maybe I'm overlooking something. Who can help me out?

Marcel
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 05:07:01 PM by marcel-de-jong »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Virus scanning
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 11:54:02 AM »
Is this of any help?  >>  https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Create-Antivirus-scan-report

you can search FAQ for scan  >>  https://support.avast.com/

Offline marcel-de-jong

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 12:07:34 PM »
Hi Pondus,
Thanks for your fast response, I'll have a look at both links and will let you know.

Marcel

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 12:34:33 PM »
There can't be running 2 virus scans at the same time so once you started scanning E: we stopped scanning C: while keeping the results of what was scanned so far and started scanning E:. so in your case part of C: was scanned and whole E:. Explorer scan is more focused on scanning folders, in your case I would recommend to do the scan via UI, Protection-Scans-Targeted Scan, select the drives and then you can watch the progress.

Offline marcel-de-jong

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 01:45:36 PM »
That's a pity. I know, that in the past I started my virusscans per disk. I then got an overview of the first disk. After starting the 2nd disk I got a second overview which was connected to the first one. After starting the 3rd disk the 3rd overview was connected to the existing two overviews.
And so on. I can't remember what Avast version that was, but it worked perfectly.

I had a look at the UI and saw 4 scan options: none of those gives me the possibility to select just one disk; it's either 'systemdisk' or 'all harddisks'.
So I think the only way to achieve what I want is to start a scan per disk and wait till that one is finished before starting the next disk to scan.

Marcel

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 03:00:11 PM »
Hi, in Targeted scan you can select multiple drives.

Offline marcel-de-jong

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 07:22:30 PM »
In Targeted scans I can't find a disk-selection option, in the complete virusscan (scan your whole computer) I did find an option to select one or more disks. I'll try that one out.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Marcel

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 08:52:35 PM »
What you are looking at is the scan settings,  if you actually click the Targeted Scan option (not the settings below it) it opens an Explorer style window where you can select the drive/s you want to scan.

See attached images.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 08:55:29 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline marcel-de-jong

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 10:17:58 PM »
OK, I now see what I did wrong: I indeed pressed settings which is below box 'targeted systems' instead of that box itself. That's why I didn't see the Windows-alike disk-selection option.

But still I wonder what happens when I create a specific scan for let's say disk c and one for disk e, both with their own logfile.
Is it possible to start those 2 together: first disk_c and straight after disk_d. Or do I then run into 'There can't be running 2 virus scans at the same time'
I'll try this out one of these days and will come back with the results.

Thanks all of you for your help

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 11:39:03 PM »
You won't get a file for each drive (at least that is my interpretation on what happens), you get a file for each type of scan (Targeted Scan).  The different selected disks are collectively in the same scan and the report when generated.

As in the Settings window Scan - Scan Name - In the Report File section you will see 'Generate report file' (needs to be checked to generate a report), you will also see an * (asterisk) in the Report file settings, this means it will take the Scan Name as the default name. 

You could change that to My-C-and-E-drive-scan, or meaningful name, or just leave them as the default name.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline marcel-de-jong

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 12:07:16 AM »
Hi DavidR,

Using the option "Modified scanactions" I created separate "commandfiles", one per disk, each with its own logfile.
I then started one scan and straight away a second one. The first one started scanning, the second one started after the first one finished. So it seems one indeed can't run more then one scan at a time.
For the logfile I defined one path, but different filenames. However, I could not find back any logfile whatsoever, but the scans are mentioned in the scanhistory.
One of these day I'll try to figure out where my logfiles have gone to, for now I call it a day.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 01:00:54 AM »
As I mentioned unless you checked the Generate Report File in the Report File section you won't get a report, you didn't say if you had done this.

I can't understand why you feel the need to split them into two separate scans when you can run a single scan covering both drives.

I will go a step further and say I don't bother with on-demand scans, outside of beta testing and in relation to forum questions.  With a resident (on-access) scanner the need for on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part dormant/inert files are being scanned, the other active files are going to be scanned by the resident shields when they are activated.

Offline marcel-de-jong

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 12:24:26 PM »
Hi DavidR

I mentioned having defined filenames for the log-files: the same pathname with a per scan different filename.

It is not a big issue running scans per selected disk, it is only that in the past I kinda got used to that way of working.
But I'll stick to the way is is now, I just wondered.

Once more, thanks for your help, as far as I'm concerned this topic can be closed.

Marcel

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 04:52:41 PM »
You're welcome.

Topics generally remain open, they just drop out of the chronological order.

You can however modify the Subject of your first post and add [Resolved] to the Subject.