Author Topic: How do I set up home avast?  (Read 3116 times)

diana1096

How do I set up home avast?
« on: July 21, 2006, 06:10:49 PM »
I think it's working. But I have been doing the updates.
It's not scanning my email and as far as I know the only thing running is the standard shield & the web shield are running. Also they are showing very low numbers.
Also I would like to set it up to boot scan or be able to do it before I log off each night but haven't been able to find the help menu. Is there one? ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How do I set up home avast?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 06:22:06 PM »
What is your OS ?
What is your email program ? 
Or you downloading email from yahoo or hotmail/msn, e.g. what is the domain name of your email server/s (after the @ in the email address) ?

right click the avast icon, select Start avast! Antivirus, Menu, Help.
Or you could create a desktop shortcut, C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH\HELP\help.chm
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

diana1096

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 06:29:21 PM »
XP SP2
Outlook Express 6xxx
Gmail & My ISP's email (pop3) gmail has to be setup different in OE. I think it uses different ports or something.

diana1096

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 06:40:28 PM »
Are the logs of scans [quick scans & regular scans] saved somewhere so I can access them and check and/or delete the files listed by hand or have them atleast scanned by malware scanner?
When I bring up the log viewer it just names dates.

Will add more questions as I read more :-)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 07:57:10 PM »
Gmail uses secure encrypted email and as such avast can't scan it without a third party interface (STunnel, see below), that is the whole point of the secure email so no one can tamper with or read it.

A little light reading about STunnel:
Gmail and Avast Providers
Solution: Using GMail with Avast and a SPAM filter
Redirecting multiple SSL accounts
Stunnel now comes as an installer which installs Open SSL and Stunnel so now you just have to download the installer version from here http://www.stunnel.org/download/binaries.html

Logs of previous scans are only available in the Pro version Not in the Home free version.

After you run a scan in the home version there is a pop-up window and a report 'Last Scan Results' (only available during the current scan, Home version) and 'View Scan Reports' (pro only I believe). Right click on the skin and select from the context menu.

Also re the boot-time scan from the same right click menu, you can select schedule bot-time scan, this is a one off deal, e.g. it will only work for the next boot. You shouldn't need to do this on a regular basis as the resident scanners are always active, it is used for special times, like when a file is in use and can't be moved to the chest, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security