Author Topic: Task Scheduler  (Read 2329 times)

REDACTED

Task Scheduler
« on: November 28, 2018, 04:32:10 PM »
Avast Free latest version. XP SP3 (I know it is obsolete). Since last update, Windows scheduler is not working. The service is running, but task show as Could not Start. Going to Task Scheduler and clicking on run does nothing. Stopped working right after the last update of the program. Is anyone else seeing this, and how to fix other than uninstalling Avast?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Task Scheduler
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 07:40:09 PM »
Avast Free latest version. XP SP3 (I know it is obsolete). Since last update, Windows scheduler is not working. The service is running, but task show as Could not Start. Going to Task Scheduler and clicking on run does nothing. Stopped working right after the last update of the program.

Is anyone else seeing this, and how to fix other than uninstalling Avast?

What tasks are these that you are trying to run ?

I have an XP system and that has some scheduled tasks that have worked recently.  That said I generally don't check the scheduled tasks and recently I rolled back to avast free 18.5.2342 because of CPU Spikes in the 18.8.2356 (AvastSvc.exe) and the only way to resolve this was a reboot.  That however was becoming too frequent so I rolled back to avast free 18.5.2342.

Unfortunately these scheduled tasks only have the last run dates and they are after my roll back to an earlier version.

Have you tried an avast Repair ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 11:23:11 PM »
I'm running a ftps client sync program -GoodSync. Ran OK Sunday, but stopped working Monday after Avast update. The Avast scheduled updates also return Cannot start. It is a headless computer in a remote location. I have to use Teamviewer to access it, which makes fixing difficult. I had to remove Avast from another headless computer that I access using UVNC because whenever Avast brought up a window, it locked the computer so that only an attached mouse would clear it. I put Bitdefender on it, and had no more trouble. I don't know if Avast or UVNC ever cleared this problem. I know it was a known problem with Avast users.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 01:07:24 AM »
Presumably avast isn't throwing up an alert ?

I just wonder if this is the behaviour/file system shield/s checking the executable being started by the scheduled scan.  You could try adding an exclusion to the respective shield/s and see if that helps.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 04:15:30 PM »
Turning off behavior shield makes no difference. The program will run manually but not via Windows scheduler. The Avast update schedules also are not running. Something has disabled Windows scheduler running even with the service shown as running. Very strange behavior indeed. This all happened after the latest Avast update.
As an aside, is anyone able to read the verification letters-I sure can't!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 09:39:02 PM »
<snip>
As an aside, is anyone able to read the verification letters-I sure can't!

Well you have made it so far and the good news is it is only for your first 3 posts.  It is a necessary anti-spam precaution the harder it is even for a human the less spam we see. 

Being a very active (and public) forum means it is a bigger target.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 03:56:07 PM »
Finally got scheduler to work again. Had to check box for "Must be Logged In" in scheduled job properties. Never had this before, and the computer only has one user which of course is  Admin. Hard to figure this one out!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 04:00:46 PM »
Thanks for coming back with your feedback, certainly not something that I have come across before.