Author Topic: Reboot scanning taking days  (Read 1936 times)

Firewitch

Reboot scanning taking days
« on: July 23, 2006, 09:53:33 PM »
there was a virus or something active in my memory and avast gave me the option to have my computer scanned before windows was fully started and that was.... 5 days ago?!?!?!?!  :o  i can only guess that its not only scanning my main hard drive but also my other hard drives(420gig total) as well. since my main partition is only 12 gigs (to keep scan times low for spyware scanners and stuff... so, I've gotten many many virus over the years and never had a virus jump drives.... SO i am not sure why avast is scanning my other drives... i am on my laptop right now but i need to get to stuff on my main computer already and while i have been able to allow it free reign for  the last 5 days non-stop, i kind of need my computer now and to know whats up... so my questions really are:
1. is avast startup scanner deleting the stuff it finds instantly as it finds it or is it going to ask me about it afterwards?
2. is it likely after the 5 days its been running that it has already completely scanned my C drive?
3. if i want to reboot my computer and just get past this how should i do it without it starting up all over again?
4. is there a way to limit the startup scanner to scan only my C drive if i am still infected?
5. if my computer is a 1.6ghz p4, .5gig mem, and has 420gigs to scan o 72k speed hds.... how long will this take? in other words, is it close to finishing?  :P
6. if i go ahead and turn my computer off and avast can't handle it in a timely manner what other programs would be recommended to scan my computer? (i was very badly infected 10 to 20 different things at once  :'( of those i can remember it was new.net, smitfraud, surfer2go?, searchmaid, coolwwwsearch...etc)
7. if i stop it and it has removed viruses already is there a log i can check so i know what it has already removed?

Thanks all for your time in reading this!

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
Re: Reboot scanning taking days
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 06:45:36 AM »
1. the default is to ask.

2.if it's only a 12 gig drive I'd say yes.

3.i don't think it's possible to start where you left off, to stop the scan use the "press Esc to bypass scanning" option.

4. yes, open avast, click on menu, click on schedule boot time scan, choose scan selected path, click on the box that has ...
then choose the drive you want to scan.

5. I'll leave this question to the experts here.

6. trendmicro has an on line scanner  http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

7. right click on the blue A ball in the system tray and choose Avast log viewer, but I'm not sure if this works with a boot scan.

8. welcome to the forums!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 07:23:50 AM by marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!