Author Topic: NEW Version: 19.1.2360  (Read 118085 times)

Offline Terryrb

Re: NEW Version: 19.1.2360
« Reply #225 on: February 10, 2019, 08:37:17 PM »
After updating to this new version (Avast! Free), I can no longer find any controls to set the scheduled scan date/time for a full scan. The Settings link under the Full Virus Scan (from Protection->Virus Scans) contains nothing about scheduling. There is also a clock icon under the Full Virus Scan panel, but it only shows when the scan will run - no controls for setting/changing it. This clock icon is not clickable - the scheduled scan time only appears in a pop-up which is also not clickable.

In previous versions, the scheduling controls were easily found and intuitive. Have these controls been hidden somewhere else or are they simply missing in this release? I think the scheduling settings have been missed and should have been part of the Settings menu tree.

We work on a new scheduling, it will be live in approx 2 weeks.

Now that we're past the "two weeks," do we have an ETA on the fix for this particular problem?

I really want to CHANGE the time of the daily scan I set in the previous version, which definitely carried over in the most recent version, 19.1.2360 (build 19.1.4142.454), but was programmed to be inaccessible.

I'm still scratching my head on this one.

So, ETA...anyone?

According to MartinZ, the fix for this was in beta and would be released by now (see next MartinZ message « Reply #210 on: January 29, 2019, 05:25:25 PM »). Unfortunately, this problem still persists in 19.2.2364 and I have noted such in that thread.

Still waiting for a fix for this.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 08:39:40 PM by Terryrb »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #226 on: February 10, 2019, 09:00:51 PM »
After updating to this new version (Avast! Free), I can no longer find any controls to set the scheduled scan date/time for a full scan. The Settings link under the Full Virus Scan (from Protection->Virus Scans) contains nothing about scheduling. There is also a clock icon under the Full Virus Scan panel, but it only shows when the scan will run - no controls for setting/changing it. This clock icon is not clickable - the scheduled scan time only appears in a pop-up which is also not clickable.

In previous versions, the scheduling controls were easily found and intuitive. Have these controls been hidden somewhere else or are they simply missing in this release? I think the scheduling settings have been missed and should have been part of the Settings menu tree.

Now that we're past the "two weeks," do we have an ETA on the fix for this particular problem?

I really want to CHANGE the time of the daily scan I set in the previous version, which definitely carried over in the most recent version, 19.1.2360 (build 19.1.4142.454), but was programmed to be inaccessible.

So, ETA...anyone?

According to MartinZ, the fix for this was in beta and would be released by now (see next MartinZ message « Reply #210 on: January 29, 2019, 05:25:25 PM »). Unfortunately, this problem still persists in 19.2.2364 and I have noted such in that thread.

A statement was also made that the default custom scan start out with the same settings as the full scan.
To me, that means you can use the custom scan and use that to schedule a scan.
I personally hardly ever use the scans since once I know my system is clean, Avast checks everything I open, add or in any other way use.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #227 on: February 10, 2019, 10:00:37 PM »

So, ETA...anyone?

A statement was also made that the default custom scan start out with the same settings as the full scan.
I personally hardly ever use the scans since once I know my system is clean, Avast checks everything I open, add or in any other way use.

That's correct, as Bob stated.
I personally always go through 'Custom Scan' and choose "Full Scan" and then set frequency, (day and time). Smooth. :)

Offline Silvasan

« Reply #228 on: February 12, 2019, 05:45:04 PM »

So, ETA...anyone?

That's correct, as Bob stated.
I personally always go through 'Custom Scan' and choose "Full Scan" and then set frequency, (day and time). Smooth. :)

Ok but please read what Shayna said because it is happening to me too... I can't find the scheduled full scan I've set in previous version. It executes by itself but if I want to change it, there's no way to do it 'cause I can't see where it is.
Thanks.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #229 on: February 12, 2019, 06:20:14 PM »
@ Silvasan,

Essentially what I think happened to you was that an upgrade of the old version prior was done, and not a clean install.  An upgrade would. of course, carry-over any/all old settings to the newest version, as well as most program features. 

Unfortunately, Avast is now in the middle of changing the GUI appearance and functions in the latest version, and some settings are lost for now, such as the ability to modify old scan settings.  Some scheduled scans are still included, tho, by clicking a link to Old Settings.

The only way to really know what you are going to get ahead of time is to temporarily install a BeTA Avast version, where proposed GUI and program settings are tested out before the main program release is done.  Most users cannot be bothered with testing changes in a possibly buggy release, but can follow the testing process in the BeTA section of Avast Forums if they wish.  There is no expectation for users to actually install.

You have two options as I see it:
  • You can do a clean install of avast.  Uberevangelist bob3160 has posted several times here on the Avast Forums on how to do that, and has linked several youtube videos he has made on how to best proceed.
  • You can wait for the next build number to be released.

Honestly, I've found that, over time, a clean install is always better in the long run.  The fact is, old version files needed to run Avast are removed, and new ones are put in their place and issues such as yours are minimised.  It also means all old settings are removed and you can start fresh.

My recommendation is to do a clean install.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 06:22:18 PM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762) UI version 1.0.797

Offline bruce_b

« Reply #230 on: February 12, 2019, 06:43:09 PM »
Hopefully they will make the User Interface nicer and better to read. That black background is terrible.
If you do decide to do a clean install, be sure to backup your settings for the exclusions and such. If
you don't then you will need to reenter them or reselect them when you do a clean reinstall. 
Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.8Ghz Windows XP PRO SP3
Avast Free Antivirus 18.8.2356
Toshiba Satellite C855-S5347 Celeron B830 1.8Ghz
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Version 1909 Build 18363.900
Avast Free Antivirus 20.4.2410 Build 20.4.5312.578

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #231 on: February 13, 2019, 05:11:00 PM »
@bruce_b.
Saving settings (whilst for most of us would be best practice) may not be ideal for Silvasan and others who have old avast version scan settings, which the new UI does not support going forward. So they have settings they cannot then alter.
Is this really true even with "old Settings" still available?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #232 on: February 13, 2019, 05:17:31 PM »
@bruce_b.
Saving settings (whilst for most of us would be best practice) may not be ideal for Silvasan and others who have old avast version scan settings, which the new UI does not support going forward. So they have settings they cannot then alter.
Is this really true even with "old Settings" still available?

I'm not entirely sure that is entirely correct.  Default settings are just that, but having change the defaults then these would have to be stored somewhere, possibly in one of the .ini files.  In which case I feel that they are likely to be retained and saved in 'Back up settings' (save settings).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Silvasan

« Reply #233 on: February 13, 2019, 05:50:10 PM »
@ Silvasan,

Essentially what I think happened to you was that an upgrade of the old version prior was done, and not a clean install.  An upgrade would. of course, carry-over any/all old settings to the newest version, as well as most program features. 

Unfortunately, Avast is now in the middle of changing the GUI appearance and functions in the latest version, and some settings are lost for now, such as the ability to modify old scan settings.  Some scheduled scans are still included, tho, by clicking a link to Old Settings.

The only way to really know what you are going to get ahead of time is to temporarily install a BeTA Avast version, where proposed GUI and program settings are tested out before the main program release is done.  Most users cannot be bothered with testing changes in a possibly buggy release, but can follow the testing process in the BeTA section of Avast Forums if they wish.  There is no expectation for users to actually install.

You have two options as I see it:
  • You can do a clean install of avast.  Uberevangelist bob3160 has posted several times here on the Avast Forums on how to do that, and has linked several youtube videos he has made on how to best proceed.
  • You can wait for the next build number to be released.

Honestly, I've found that, over time, a clean install is always better in the long run.  The fact is, old version files needed to run Avast are removed, and new ones are put in their place and issues such as yours are minimised.  It also means all old settings are removed and you can start fresh.

My recommendation is to do a clean install.

That's right I've upgraded the version. well Avast has done it when the new version was available.  Thanks for the recommendation but  I think they should have foreseen all the situations.

Thanks  anyway!  I'll do it in the next formatting.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #234 on: February 14, 2019, 12:52:32 AM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762) UI version 1.0.797