Author Topic: Installation trouble  (Read 5433 times)

jim.alex

Installation trouble
« on: July 29, 2006, 03:27:33 AM »
I have been using Avast for over a year and then recently noticed the blue ball in the system tray was not coming up. I uninstalled -reinstalled several times and still cannot get the shields to activate. The last couple of times I tried this the blue balls appear after re-boot, but the "@" ball has a red slash through circle. Both balls then disappear. When I go to the program short-cut, either on the desktop or via the start  --> program and click it the error "missing shortcut ashAvast.exe" message pops up. When I go into the Avast folder and look around I can't even find such a file. Any experience with this?

I am running XP and the Windows firewall set at default. I have done a complete system clean-up with CCleaner and a spyware check with Adaware

PS I also tried to load up AVG's anti-virus program and I get a similar result, except there the installation itself stops with the message that an .exe file cannot be found.

Thanks (in advance...hopefully)!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 03:36:26 AM by jim.alex »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Installation trouble
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 03:12:45 PM »
Installing a second AV whilst you still have the first could further complicate matters (as both AVs load device drivers using legacy keys in the registry), especially when the avast icon doesn't have any security implications.

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?
Whatever could be killing the avast icon start-up entry, ashDisp.exe could be doing the same with AVG.

As you said you have AdAware, if you have the Pro version with AdWatch enabled this will kill new start-up entries (it should have asked you what to do about the new entry not just kill it), disable AdWatch and reboot.

The first thing you should do is to uninstall AVG and reboot so you don't have two resident AVs which can conflict.

avast! icon missing - As a temporary measure you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jim.alex

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 07:12:22 PM »
Hello David - thanks for responding to my posting.

I did not have any other security software running during my attempts to reload Avast. I had cleared AVG off my system already and Adaware is the freebie version and non-resident. However I went through and removed all such stuff from the computer after reading your message, disengaged Windows firewall and set the internet download security settings to "low," and tried again. Same result, although this time the system tray icons did not even show up afer re-boot. However, Avast did provide a log as result of not loading up:

29.07.2006 09:55:44 general: Started: 29.07.2006, 09:55:44
29.07.2006 09:55:44 general: Running setup_av_pro-34c (844)
29.07.2006 09:55:44 system: Operating system: WindowsXP ver 5.1, build 2600, sp 2.0 [Service Pack 2]
29.07.2006 09:55:44 system: Computer WinName: JIMBO
29.07.2006 09:55:44 system: Windows Net User: JIMBO\Jim
29.07.2006 09:55:44 general: Cmdline: /sfx /sfxstorage "C:\DOCUME~1\Jim\LOCALS~1\Temp\_av_sfx.tm~a03492"  /srcpath "C:\Documents and Settings\Jim\Desktop"
29.07.2006 09:55:44 general: DldSrc set to sfx
29.07.2006 09:55:44 general: Old version: 34c (844)
29.07.2006 09:55:44 general: Install check: 'C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe' does NOT exist
29.07.2006 09:55:44 general: SGW32P::CheckIfInstalled set m_bAlreadyInstalled to 0
29.07.2006 09:55:44 registry: Get registry: Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Version=6.0.2900.2180
29.07.2006 09:55:44 general: Operation set to INST_OP_INSTALL
29.07.2006 09:55:44 general: GUID: e4ae0d9f-0f96-4446-baf9-6215c135875a
29.07.2006 09:55:44 general: SelectCurrent: selected server 'tmp sfx storage' from 'sfx'
29.07.2006 09:55:44 package: GetPackages - set proxy for inet
29.07.2006 09:55:44 internet: SYNCER: Type: use IE settings
29.07.2006 09:55:44 internet: SYNCER: Auth: another authentication, use WinInet
29.07.2006 09:55:44 general: Entered SetupProcessPro::Do( INST_OP_INSTALL )
29.07.2006 09:55:44 general: Entered SetupProcessWin32Avast::Do( INST_OP_INSTALL )
29.07.2006 09:55:44 general: Entered SetupProcessWin32::Do( INST_OP_INSTALL )
29.07.2006 09:55:44 general: Entered SetupProcess::Do( INST_OP_INSTALL )
29.07.2006 09:56:10 general: progress end - forced
29.07.2006 09:56:10 general: progress thread end

I did a search for the ashAvast,exe file and it did not exist. For whatever reason it seems something is blocking the .exe file from loading during the download/installation process. that is what also happened to my attempt to download AVG a few days back - the .exe file did not download. However, on some other programs I have downloaded, their .exe files do alright.

As of now I am completely unprotected and a bit nervous. Thanks for the help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 08:15:02 PM »
It looks like you have a failed install because of the missing files, ashavast.exe should be in the avast4 folder (ensure you have Hide extensions for known file types disabled, see image). If you tried a search for ashAvast,exe, you have a comma instead of a period ashAvast.exe, so a typo could cause it not to be found.

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.

If that doesn't work try, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.

It would probably be best to download the latest version of avast as your avast and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

I'm also a little confused by this line.
Quote from: jim.alex
29.07.2006 09:55:44 general: Running setup_av_pro-34c (844)
Which version of avast are you using as it looks like you are trying to install the Pro version.
The other thing is your mention of "I have been using Avast for over a year," if you have the pro version or the home version you could be coming up to requiring a new license or re-registering.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jim.alex

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 11:01:39 PM »
Hello David. I did all you suggested and still I have the same result - those .exe files do not appear in the Avast folder and I am unable to execute the program. It is the free home version I am working with - the latest release from the Avast site. I believe I re-registered when I got the notification from Avast to do so, but even if I did not, wouldn't removing and reloading the program start me afresh - or does Avast write something into my settings to prevent doing that? Thanks for the help.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 12:29:37 AM »
 :)  Hi Jim :

I have heard there is malware that has been developed
     to "mess up" antiVIRUS program(s); having CCleaner &
     Ad-Aware is NOT sufficient protection against all the "bad"
     stuff coming through the phone lines. At this point in time,
     I recommend, if possible, that you download, install &
     update the good & FREE "Ewido" from www.ewido.net/en
     and run its "Complete System Scan", to see if it finds what
     may be causing the "trouble" !?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 01:19:08 AM »
As Spiritsongs mentioned it is possible that it could be malware, so it would be worth running ewido from safe mode.

This gives an indication that there may have been a problem with the install.
"29.07.2006 09:55:44 general: Install check: 'C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe' does NOT exist." and " 29.07.2006 09:56:10 general: progress end - forced."

Now why this happened malware of corrupt installation file is anyone's guess, that is why I suggested download the latest version of avast again.

Using the same suspect file you downloaded earlier won't eliminate one possibility/cause, so I don't believe removing and reloading the program using this setup/installation file is a good idea. avast will let you uninstall and reinstall till you are blue in the face with the home version.

What avast processes are running in Task manager (see image) ?

Download and run ewido and let us know what if anything it finds.
Download the latest version of avast as your avast and save it to your HDD.
Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save that to your HDD.
Then uninstall, reboot, run the uninstall utility, reboot, install avast using the new setup/installation file, reboot.

jim.alex

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 05:14:15 PM »
Hello David and Spiritsongs. I am not sure what you all do for a living, but taking the time to help folk like me is awesome. Thank you. I went the Ewido route and here is what happened. I tried to access it in safe mode, but my system would not allow me to do that. It registered a warning that windows was shutting down to avoid harm to the computer. It went on the report that I needed to check for virus infection or problems with the harddisk. I tried all the other safe mode options to boot from and the same thing happened, and same message. However, I was able to boot normally. I then went to system restore and tried to get back to an earlier configuration - blocked from doing that as well. I ran Ewido direct from their website in normal boot and the result was a list of about 20 cyber cockroach kind of entities in my system, including win 32 infestation. I then gave an okay to the fix prompt. However, now I cannot boot at all and the same error message comes up as happened previously when I tried safe mode.

I ran my Dell utility files and their test of the boot process turned out okay, as did their test of the hard drive. I went further by using the Windows recovery console FIXBOOT command. That did not change matters either. I did not go further down the windows recovery road because I am afraid of losing data if I make a mistake.

So...My guess is far less informed than yours, but it would seem there is some form of malware embedded in my systems files and it is preventing me from getting to it. I travel all over the world and am obviously exposed to a lot of stuff via local servers, e-mail messages, etc.

My computer is a Dell, still under next day on site warranty and so I guess I will contact them to see what they might be able to do. Again, thanks for taking the time. Jim
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 05:19:12 PM by jim.alex »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 06:07:13 PM »
The windows recovery route, provided you don't reformat or use a Dell recovery disk that restores your system to its initial state (after purchase) should only do a repair install, effectively just replacing the windows files and not touching your data. However, you are right to be cautious about your data. Even if they aren't able to help directly perhaps they can suggest a way to recover your data, there is the possibility of using a Linux CD that can run from CD to recover your data although I have never used this http://www.knoppix.org/

It is at times like this that you thing about a backup and recovery strategy, I take an image of my HDD partitions and save then to a second HDD every week and back-up my data files, favourites, emails, etc. a couple of times a day. So if the worst happens, I restore the last image of my primary HDD partitions and restore my last data back-up, this way the works is loss of 6 days of program installations/updates/changes and part of a days data.

jim.alex

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 06:39:43 PM »
Hello David, thanks for the quick response. Dell has me running CHKDSK off the xp recovery console now. If that does not work (which they were not too hopeful) they said I am only left with the option to reformat the HD and start all over. I asked if there was a way to protect data and they dais not in their understanding. I am hoping that is not the route I need to take...I will know in 15 minutes I guess. I wish one could just delete windows and re-install without having to reformat the HD.

I looked at the linux option you sent the link for. In its warning it speaks of not being responsible for possible hardware damage and so that is worisome as well. Are you familiar with Bart PEbuilder? Would that have utilities I could use to transfer some data before a re-format? I do back up "My documents" on a regular basis, but it has been awhile since I backed up e-mail stuff...mistake. I will obviously look into getting another external HD for mirror imaging once this dust clears. Thanks again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 08:26:43 PM »
That is one reason why a HDD should be partitioned so data can be kept on a separate partition from the OS, that way it shouldn't suffer from data loss in reformatting you partition that the OS is on. It also makes it easier for back-ups also.

You are always going to see that type of warning to protect themselves, when you are up to you neck in alligators that last thing you are worrying about is draining the swamp. The same is true here when you have no other choice you basically accept that risk. As far as damaging hardware, I think that unlikely, damaging/losing data that is always a possibility.

I have never used the Bart PEbuilder, so I would suggest a visit to their site and or doing a google search for something like data recovery tools.

jim.alex

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 09:00:34 PM »
I did what dell suggested with CHKDSK, but it did not work seemingly, although it did say it found and corrected at least one error. When I re-booted I was back to that same old error message. Since dell gave me only that option and reformating, I decided to fool around with the recovery consul commands anyway - couldn't seem to hurt anything if I was going to have to start from scratch anyway. I found a site which walked me through using some commands to try and get a boot recovery fix operable. Tried that and seemed to get nowhere better, meaning the same ole boot error message came up, but this time I thought I would try the most recent successful configuation boot command on a whim (tried it before and nothing changed)...Bingo!!!!I am back in. I am afraid to try a re-boot at the moment and so have been busy backing up my recent working/e-mail files. I want to go the route you suggested as regarding a full C drive back-up. I have two computers - laptop and desk top. I can get an external HD large enough to handle what is on both. What do you suggest as for a backup utility - the mirror imaging route? I suppose I would need to partition the new drive in half so that I can download from both machines and not get the data all mixed up? Thanks! Jim

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 11:29:05 PM »
Well I use Drive Image 7.1, the last version made by PowerQuest before they were bought ought by Symantec they also own Norton Ghost another imaging software, the two were combined into the latest Norton Ghost. I'm not keen on many Norton products so I doubt I will upgrade to that. PowerQuest also did PartitionMagic (PM), version 8, the last before the buy out, I had been using PM since about version 3 and it can partition resize your hard drive partition/s, create new ones without losing data.

My back-ups are a little dos program called mirror.exe (115KB) you need to right a batch file with the location of folders and files you want to backup and the destination they are to be saved. So you have to be a little organised in the way you keep data files grouped together in a data folder (see image) as this makes backup simple.

There are other products that can do the same but I haven't used any of the current ones so I couldn't recommend one. You could back-up your date to a new folder, 'data_backup,' etc. and then burn that to a CD until you get organised.

I would say you need at least two partitions on the external drive, personally I would split the drive in three equal partitions, this allows for other use and if either of your other partitions needs to grow you can shrink the third partition and expand the other without too much trouble.

jim.alex

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 07:11:21 PM »
Hello David. The journey continues. I got the back up system set up and have mirror imaged my c drive, but that includes the faulty windows system files as well. Anyway, everything is relatively safe in a number of different locations!

I tried something else which was suggested on another site speaking about windows xp repair. When I booted to my original windows disk I chose the windows set up command rather than repair. That took me to the new set up menu which had a repair option for a faulty installation. I tried that and windows reloaded without overwriting my old system files. It then set me up as an additional user on the computer. I can still access all my document and program files via c drive, but the programs would need to be set up one by one as if it was a fresh reload. However, when I downloaded Avast into this new user setup it loads and runs like a charm! When I start up windows under my previous user name with those old settings, the same problem still occurs - the Avast .exe files don't show up anywhere.

I still cannot do a safeboot on my system though and so it looks like I will need to re-format anyway and start all over. Anyway, thought I would let you know at least, in response to all your help.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 07:17:24 PM by jim.alex »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 09:21:09 PM »
What if you ensure that you have the new account set-up as your new default one admin privileges, etc. and transfer any stuff you need and then delete the old account.

What happens when you try to boot into safe mode and how are you trying to get into safe mode ?