Author Topic: Languages of avast! and their installation  (Read 7983 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Languages of avast! and their installation
« on: January 11, 2004, 10:49:33 PM »
After the installation of the Full package (4.1.319) and choosing English and Portuguese as available languages, if I click on Portuguese setup file (4.1.319) or English setup file (4.1.319) I receive two error messages:

This setup does not contain all needed components.
Please use Internet update or full setup program.

This first is ok, it is normal, none of the single setup files has the 'other' language. But, the second error was:

Setup found another antivirus on your system.
If you decide to install this program, it may conflict with following programs:
Norton Antivirus / Internet Security

Do you wish to continue?

I do not have neither Norton Antivirus nor Symantec Internet Security.

Anyway, if I click on the Full setup file (4.1.319) (17Mb) does not give me any of the previous errors, specially does not warn about the second! Strange?! On contrary, I receive the following error:

There was an error while changing the product configuration.

At this time, I have only two possibilities at Control Panel: Change or Uninstall. Either opening Add/Remove option from Control Panel or clicking in the Full setup file.

Any ideas?

I forgot to say: I tested both with Process Guard[/b] blocking the ashServ.exe file and not. I even uninstall Process Guard for sure.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Languages of avast! and their installation
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 10:50:16 PM »
I remove avast!, boot, use Avast clear for full uninstallation, and, after the boot, installed using only the Portuguese setup file. I receive two warning about the Norton Antivirus/Internet Security. Boot. After all, if I click again on this Portuguese setup file, I have only the two options above (Change or Uninstall). Al-though, if I open the Add/Remove applet of Control Panel I can see and use the four pos-sibilities: Change, Uninstall, Update and Repair.

Any ideas about this?

Again, I tested both with Process Guard blocking the ashServ.exe file and not. I even uninstall Process Guard for sure.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 01:01:11 PM by Technical »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 12:58:06 PM »
Please, do not kill this thread!  :(
Any other applications allow to run the 'setup' file and repair the installation...

Windows (from 95 through XP) could be 'installed' over the first installation.
Office will bring up the 'Repair' function, change, uninstall... Will recognize updates and won't 'reinstall' old versions over new ones.
Earlier versions of McAfee work like this.
Norton never have this feature until 2003 (it is a terrible program for both installing and the worst for uninstalling...).
Palm Desktop application has this feature and tons of small applications could be reinstalled...

avast! has something different when we use more than one language. The setup file could not 'touch' some files, hangs, give errors...

This is the second time I try to discuss this in the forums... The first one 'died'... I do not want to be another 'sad' user  :'(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 08:11:53 PM »
Hello!! Anybody there?  :'(

Why the 'advanced' users does not receive the fast help as the younger newbies?  ;D

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 08:24:34 PM »
Alwil guys, where are you?  ::) ::)
Technical needs help here..  :(
MW

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 10:42:28 PM »
The Norton AV warning will be removed in the next update.

Otherwise, I'm not quite sure what problems are you talking about... ???

What I don't understand in the first place is why are you trying to update using the sfx? Is it on a disconnected computer?

Then the rule of thumb is if you need to use more than one language, you must use setupful (but that's something you already know)...

So what exactly is the problem, if you follow this rule?

Thanks,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 01:22:45 AM »
The Norton AV warning will be removed in the next update.

Otherwise, I'm not quite sure what problems are you talking about... ???

What I don't understand in the first place is why are you trying to update using the sfx? Is it on a disconnected computer?

Then the rule of thumb is if you need to use more than one language, you must use setupful (but that's something you already know)...

So what exactly is the problem, if you follow this rule?

Thanks,
Vlk

First, Vlk, very thanks for coming... We're never alone  :D
I'm not at a disconnect computer now (of course) but other programs allow the 'Repair' function running the setup file. I try the setupfull (17Mb) but I cannot receive neither the option Repair nor Update. The only 2 available are Change or Uninstall. I try this because besides avast! was installed, it wasn't in the Control Panel applet (see this forum please). I could not repair and could not reinstall it... I hate to uninstall!. You know, there is not an option to save the configurations: you must remember to save the *.htm and *.txt files for emails, avast4.ini, deftasks, ... It's borring to configurate all avast! things again...

Is it posible to have the 'repair' function with the sfx file, the full setup I mean?

I'm just trying to have a better setup file and I do not have reason to complain here. You know me enough to know I'm with you  8)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 01:26:21 AM by Technical »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 01:29:14 AM »
I forgot to say that I need both languages, mine and English, to help in the forums. This way I can avoid mistakes like this one here, today. Of course, I did not on purpose... I can't remember both in Portuguese and in English what are the commands. I have avast! in English when connected at the forums and Portuguese when not, daily, for normal use, that is why I did the translation  ;D

Again, I'm not complaining, just trying to offer a better help.  ;)