Author Topic: How Stop Checking Everything All The Time  (Read 830 times)

Offline Annie Body

How Stop Checking Everything All The Time
« on: February 17, 2019, 08:23:48 PM »
I have had to restore a backup after Avast installed updates. It crippled my Windows 7 x64 system to the point where it just wouldn't open. It wouldn't even open in safe mode to use the uninstaller as it stuck on Avast files.
So, having just uninstalled it on my restored partition I thought it would be a good time to review my options.

Is it a good idea to keep installing updates, or should I periodically delete and install an offline file instead?

Is there a way to automatically filter out the previously scanned files?
I find that Avast makes everything slow to the point of being intrusive.
I cannot understand why it insists on checking the same file each and every time I open it, taking many seconds before I can continue.
For instance, Firefox takes about twenty seconds to load with Avast on and one second with it off.
I know I can create exceptions, but would like the automatic filter that appears on rival products without having to spend days going through my entire PC files one by one.
I cannot understand why a file which has not changed in size or date of creation has to be checked each time I open it. Apart from slowing everything up, what is the point of that?

Also, why doesn't the 'listen to letters' function work? You should be considering your customers with sight difficulties.