Author Topic: anti theft false alarm, no device listed in account  (Read 1585 times)

Offline casbott

anti theft false alarm, no device listed in account
« on: March 26, 2019, 07:37:11 AM »
I have avast free mobile security installed on a Samsung Note 8. Never bothered with account and registering, just used it to check for malicious apps and web security.
So this morning "Lost or Stolen phone" activated as I received a text, [I've seen on some forums that text with embedded numbers can trigger alerts, but I have since learned that this was apples latest dog emoji being sent by a relative].

So I have no device registered with avast, using a PC I logged into avast via my Gmail address using a password reset (no way I am going to grant access to my full google account where it can look at and DELETE all my Drive files and Keep notes, after this display of technical reliability). Just on the off chance, I also logged in (via separate browser) on my usual home email account in case I was registered there, and surprisingly after a password reset it also logged me in to a account there, I assume the same account as my gmail account is the correct one as I had installed the app on my mobile via GOOGLE PLAY.

According to online info I can reset my PIN by going to RESET PIN (none of my regular PINS seem to work, it just stays in a "working" loop whenever I enter one and never stops). But instead of being taken to the GOOGLE ACCOUNT LOGIN PAGE I get...

403. that's a error.
ERROR; disalllowed_useragent.

Google can't sign you safely inside this app. You can use Google sign in by visiting this app's website in a browser like Safari or Chrome.

Learn more [hyperlink]

Request Details

That's all we know

the hyperlink leads to a webpage from "Google Developers" blog entitled Modernizing OAuth interactions in NAtive Apps For Better Usability and Security" posted Monday, August 22, 2016 by William Denniss. it basically says that in coming months they will no longer allow third party apps to do OAuth request in embedded browsers. Here is a link to the page I found by googling it https://developers.googleblog.com/2016/08/modernizing-oauth-interactions-in-native-apps.html

So Apparently a security company either didn't keep up with changes in google app security and/or it allows it's security anti theft app to activate without having a way to deactivate it or credentials and a PIN set up first.

I would like a way to get my phone working again without having to wipe and reset it ( it wont let me power it off or access any reset options anyway) or granting avast complete access to all my files as it could erase them (and just privacy FFS).

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 10:25:51 AM by casbott »

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: anti theft false alarm, no device listed in account
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 01:21:22 PM »
Hi, if you have really never paired Anti-Theft with My Avast account, then you cannot use it to reset the Anti-Theft PIN.
It seems you installed the old version in the past (when the Anti-Theft was a standalone app).
I will PM you the whole procedure of how to uninstall it.