Author Topic: Constant UI changes  (Read 3007 times)

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
Constant UI changes
« on: April 30, 2019, 09:18:14 AM »
What is the point of constant UI changes? All they achieve is to make it confusing and so more difficult for the non-technical user to use Avast. No sooner is one UI learned than it changes. These are not trivial changes and the likely effect will be that the average user will be discouraged from interacting with Avast. Avast is a complex product and needs a consistently understandable UI if its functions are to be clearly and correctly understood. The Avast UI is also historically error prone which stability might help to improve.

The product planners might enjoy gingering up the users. The users do not enjoy being gingered up. It just seems like change for change's sake.
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.3.6108, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Constant UI changes
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 09:27:43 AM »
Hi, you can still use the old settings in troubleshooting (for now).
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 11:23:00 AM »

That may well be the case, but not forever.

Currently the UI is a mess and many of the settings are hidden in an area that isn't communicated anywhere for the average user.  How the hell are they to know about the geek:area trick unless they have been a regular forum user.

Even if you know about the geek:area it too is a mess, everything in a single level and you have to scroll for your country to find anything.  This is not intuitive.

However, the greatest need is to determine exactly what really should be in the geek:area as many of the entries could well be in common use for your non-geek users. 

Currently it looks like a dumping ground.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 02:28:40 PM »

Currently the UI is a mess and many of the settings are hidden in an area that isn't communicated anywhere for the average user.  How the hell are they to know about the geek:area trick unless they have been a regular forum user.

Even if you know about the geek:area it too is a mess, everything in a single level and you have to scroll for your country to find anything.  This is not intuitive.

However, the greatest need is to determine exactly what really should be in the geek:area as many of the entries could well be in common use for your non-geek users. 

+1
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 10:17:22 PM »
Avast 19.4.2374 UI is Avast's hardest yet to read.  I run Avast Free 10.4.2233 with Windows XP and its UI is a model of clear readability by comparison.
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.3.6108, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 10:22:53 PM »
Avast 19.4.2374 UI is Avast's hardest yet to read.  I run Avast Free 10.4.2233 with Windows XP and its UI is a model of clear readability by comparison.
You may be correct but crying over spilled milk isn't going to put the milk back into the bottle.
I'm sure many of us would like one or the other old interface back but, I highly doubt that will ever happen.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 01:20:51 AM »

I have to agree with the points
The Avast UI development over the last while has been an exercise in futility it seems. :-\

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 05:45:31 PM »

I have to agree with the points
The Avast UI development over the last while has been an exercise in futility it seems. :-\

+1

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 11:00:32 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised to discover 'Open old settings' buried low down in Troubleshooting. I joyfully scanned the clearly laid out and highly readable information and in a few seconds confidently verified that my settings were correct. I am glad that the excellent old presentation of settings is still available if carefully hidden. I could almost imagine that this is Avast's Easter egg. Oh bliss!

Avast, please retain this most valuable feature in your GUI.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 11:02:48 PM by loungehake »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 12:51:52 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised to discover 'Open old settings' buried low down in Troubleshooting. I joyfully scanned the clearly laid out and highly readable information and in a few seconds confidently verified that my settings were correct. I am glad that the excellent old presentation of settings is still available if carefully hidden. I could almost imagine that this is Avast's Easter egg. Oh bliss!

Avast, please retain this most valuable feature in your GUI.

I rather doubt that will happen, it was/is only there because the new UI isn't complete.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 09:17:49 AM »
In other words, the point of the Avast GUI policy is obfuscation? How can the reputation of a security purposed software product continue to thrive if the control interface, i.e. the GUI, inhibits the user from making best use of that software? It might be better for the software to make decisions on behalf of the user and eliminate the delusion of user control.

The continued expense of the constant unecessary messing around with the GUI does not make business sense. That the GUI remains a running sore for users cannot be in the best interests of Avast.

For many years I have regarded Avast as the best anti-malware product in spite of the GUI confusion. Bit Defender already has a policy of its software making decisions on behalf of users in combination with a vestigial GUI, apparently without ill-effect. I would be most reluctant to leave Avast but Avast seems to be conducting a unwitting campaign to make that happen.

Avast Free is obviously a PR asset to raise general awareness of its undoubted security prowess. It is a part of Avast's shop window and also a large software testing environment, the feed back from which presumably benefits the quality of its revenue earning products and makes Avast into the successful business it presently is. It therefore has a vested interest in a clear and usable GUI.

Avast has acquired CCleaner. I use the free version. I am constantly nagged to accept a 'Welcome Gift' which I imagine is not worth my bother and if I did accept it I would probably be disappointed.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 09:38:54 AM by loungehake »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 11:45:22 AM »
I can't second guess what the Avast reasoning is, just that currently the UI is a mess and that I have no idea what the end result will be as and when it ever gets finished.

As far as I can see almost all AVs have GUI revisions on a new Program Version, it is the only visual thing that shows that it is a new incarnation of the program and presumably help bring new customers.

For the most part I don't need to rummage in the UI, outside of getting familiar with it (something I believe all should do) and to capture screenshots relating to questions in the forums.

Offline stibi

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 01:02:04 PM »
It's not to believe and looks like an adventure game  :(  find something hidden.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2019, 01:41:00 PM »
It's not to believe and looks like an adventure game  :(  find something hidden.
Free gaming... ;D ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 12:10:37 PM »
I guess that Avast personnel read the august deliberations in the forum from time to time (and also those made in January, February, March, April, May, June, July, September, October, November and December).

Since it is essential that users correctly understand the usage instructions, an alternative version can be invaluable for ensuring accurate comprehension.