Author Topic: email won't send  (Read 12240 times)

vineyridge

email won't send
« on: April 10, 2003, 08:39:36 PM »
Two computers are involved.

One runs Win98SE on a PII45 with Netscape  4.61 mail as the only mail client.

The other machine is an IBM ThinkPad 600X 500 mhz with Win 98 SE.  Only email client is Pegasus 4.02  

Firewalls on both are free Zone Alarm.

I installed AVAST Home Edition on the PII, and it was, I believe version 3.72.  Worked like a charm.  Then last week I upgraded to version 4, and the trouble started.  

When the email module is properly set up and running it will check all incoming mail as intended.  BUT it will not allow me to send email with USER set up with the # and stmp server.  

The PII belongs to my 84 year old aunt.

Same thing is happening on my IBM. I just downloaded AVAST! home edition on it yesterday.

Here is the error message that I get:

573 ajh#mail.telepak.net@[127.0.0.1] unknown user account.

I can't just disable outgoing mail check because I get the same message.  Apparently the stmp part of AVAST is not stripping my user name back to ajh when it contacts my server.

I have run the mail wizard and set up manually, and in both cases it will work properly until the computer is shut down.  Next boot the error message is back.

Thanks for making the home edition and upgrades free.  It makes computing so much safer.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re:email won't send
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2003, 10:37:49 AM »
Try to specify username (without #server postfix) and password for SMTP separately (i.e. not to use POP3 settings).

vineyridge

Re:email won't send
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2003, 06:44:24 PM »
 :-[

I thought of that, but can't find a place in Pegasus Mail 4.02 that will allow me to do that.

I may be missing something, and I don't usually think of  writing code.