Author Topic: Avast Free Antivirus Privacy warnings  (Read 4276 times)

Offline Jason Deveau

Avast Free Antivirus Privacy warnings
« on: May 12, 2019, 04:08:12 PM »
These warnings do not inspire confidence in your product.

"Warning your location is exposed!  Toronto, Canada"

Wrong.

"Warning your IP address is exposed!  172.***.***.***"

Wrong.

"Get Avast Secureline VPN!"

Nope!!

If you cant detect I already have a VPN, I'm not actually in Toronto, That's not actually my IP; Then why do I trust you to detect viruses and protect my PC?

Honestly I'm kinda worried now.

~Jason

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Free Antivirus Privacy warnings
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 04:44:04 PM »
They aren't looking for a VPN, just a chance to promote their own VPN product.  Dumb ads/promotions don't get customers, they just infuriate users.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 06:15:32 PM »
Yep, one size fits all approach.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 06:26:33 PM »
They aren't looking for a VPN, just a chance to promote their own VPN product.  Dumb ads/promotions don't get customers, they just infuriate users.

Has been that way for a number of YEARS.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 06:52:51 PM »

Yes it has, its all of the junk installed that although a paid product is included in the installation and all it does is nag the user to purchase.  Outside of that it has no functionality, it can't resolve anything unless you pay.

Stuff like this in my non-marketing/user mind is counter productive, I will never buy something presented in this way.  The only issue is that marketing haven't got this point yet, when push comes to shove, users push back.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 07:17:55 PM »

Yes it has, its all of the junk installed that although a paid product is included in the installation and all it does is nag the user to purchase.  Outside of that it has no functionality, it can't resolve anything unless you pay.

Stuff like this in my non-marketing/user mind is counter productive, I will never buy something presented in this way.  The only issue is that marketing haven't got this point yet, when push comes to shove, users push back.

Well from my perspective, having watched this marketing approach for years now, disagreed with it, and commented many times some time ago (proliferation marketing) I think it's obvious that marketing believes they "nag" more people into proceeding with a purchase then they 'drive away' (push back) because there's been no change in approach.
Only time will confirm the validity of this approach. :)

Offline Vuyo

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 09:49:43 PM »
I think it's obvious that marketing believes they "nag" more people into proceeding with a purchase then they 'drive away' (push back) because there's been no change in approach.

I hate this approach of theirs. In my case I purchased the Pro version avast,  if you are going to be bombarded with advertising or other products bundled with the purchased product, why purchase the product?  I bought the product so that I do not have these ads popping up all the time. This is very discouraging. I am one of those they are going to lose.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 09:54:26 PM by Vuyo »
Win 10 Pro, avast Pro Antivirus, SpywareBlaster v5, SuperAntiSpyware Pro v8.0.1038, Comodo Firewall.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 10:36:49 PM »
I think it's obvious that marketing believes they "nag" more people into proceeding with a purchase then they 'drive away' (push back) because there's been no change in approach.

I hate this approach of theirs. In my case I purchased the Pro version avast,  if you are going to be bombarded with advertising or other products bundled with the purchased product, why purchase the product?  I bought the product so that I do not have these ads popping up all the time. This is very discouraging. I am one of those they are going to lose.

If you have a paid version of avast you can switch of these promotions for other avast products.

Not having a paid version of avast I don't have these options in my user settings.  I can't recall where it is in the paid versions, but try the avastUI > Menu > Settings and try the Privacy (or possibly Performance) section.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 06:28:33 AM »

If you have a paid version of avast you can switch of these promotions for other avast products.

Not having a paid version of avast I don't have these options in my user settings.  I can't recall where it is in the paid versions, but try the avastUI > Menu > Settings and try the Privacy (or possibly Performance) section.
--->Avast GUI>Menu>Settings>Personal Privacy (pic 1)  [EDIT:]  Untick the box marked and restart your system.
--->Avast GUI>Menu>Settings>Troubleshooting>Add/Modify (pic2)
Picture 2 will lead you to an installation area where you can remove (untick boxes/or custom install/remove) features you've not paid for and streamline your install to what you actually need/require.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 06:32:27 AM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline Vuyo

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 08:42:16 PM »

Thank you, I understand now that you can hide these promotions. My complaint / protest is why are they part of of a paid product in the first place. If they are in the free product that I understand,  that they are there to show the user that there is a better product. In my opinion they should not be included in a paid product. I have followed your advice and hid them, thanks again.
Win 10 Pro, avast Pro Antivirus, SpywareBlaster v5, SuperAntiSpyware Pro v8.0.1038, Comodo Firewall.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 09:22:19 PM »
As an Avast user just like you, I would disagree with this default opt_in it should be opt_out unless the users changes it.

The problem is that many users would never/know or go into it to make changes.  Very few people even bother going into the UI settings to see what is there.