Author Topic: Full scan super slow  (Read 3588 times)

Offline avallillo767

Full scan super slow
« on: June 09, 2019, 06:34:12 PM »
I installed Avast on the recommendation of my computer repair guy.  I am in the process of running my second full system scan, and like the first one it is taking a very long time, much longer than the AVG pay product that it replaced.  By long I mean around 24-30 hours!  Most of that time it is the only thing running (overnight). 

Is this normal?  Granted I do have somewhere around 5+ TB of storage on three hard drives, including the main C: drive, but this is still too long to be useful on a long term basis.

Any ideas?

Tony Vallillo

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Full scan super slow
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 06:58:34 PM »
Your Computer Guy needs to know that AVG is now (and has been for a long time) a part of Avast Software.

You would need to ensure that your previous AV installation was removed or there could be conflict. 

However, 24-30 hours doesn't seem anywhere near normal (but I have no experience of trying to scan 5TB+ of data), have you made any changes to the default settings of the Full Virus Scan (also was this the scan you ran) ?

There are some settings to gather information on the scanned files (placed into a persistent and temporary cache) so they won't be scanned unless the file has changed (persistent cache) or there has been a new VPS (virus signature) update.   This does take time over about three scans to build up this information, but would save on scan time on future scans.

Assuming you did the equivalent scan with AVG Pro, how long did it take (10-12 hours, given your overnight comment) ?

Do you do these scans regularly ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 07:15:02 PM »
I have nowhere near 5+TB of Storage not to mention other HD's and my Full Scan scheduled for once a month) takes just over 2 hours when initiated (on both machines). ???

Edit: While I agree that with real-time scanning of files etc by Avast on a daily basis, a Full Scan is basically redundant. For peace of mind however I still scan 1st. day of every month.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 07:27:14 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline alanb

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 07:39:19 PM »
I have nowhere near 5+TB of Storage not to mention other HD's and my Full Scan scheduled for once a month) takes just over 2 hours when initiated (on both machines). ???

Edit: While I agree that with real-time scanning of files etc by Avast on a daily basis, a Full Scan is basically redundant. For peace of mind however I still scan 1st. day of every month.

Hmmm...

I just ran an OOB Full Virus Scan on 4.125 TB of data in 24 minutes, 36 seconds on an old i3... ???

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 08:02:44 PM »

Hmmm...

I just ran an OOB Full Virus Scan on 4.125 TB of data in 24 minutes, 36 seconds on an old i3... ???

Well as DavidR has mentioned, the setting one has enabled will affect the length to some degree.
Hard to say specifically why differences in length. For me, the Quick Scan alone can take up to 30 min.
Just saying :)

Edit: I'm certainly not saying that 25 to 30 hrs is proper ;)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 08:06:00 PM by schmidthouse »