Author Topic: Wrongful auto renewal with Avast Pro + Criminal business ethics.  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Christian Körberg

Background:
a. I bought this product one year ago
b. The installed application has notified me with offers for renewal like every second day since about 1-2 weeks time.

But now Avast has charged my card anyway  >:(

1. I NEVER EVER choose auto renewal!!!!

2. I have a new card since about a months time - so that makes it a fraud (how you ever came to access the new card details I don't know).

What a pity. I was going to renew but since I can't trust your business ethics, I'll look for a new supplier unless you can TURN this awfully bad experience into an incredibly good experience. (That is, if you even care to read this.)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Re: Wrongful auto renewal with Avast Pro + Criminal business ethics.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 01:42:58 PM »
Still doesn't explain WHY Avast does a wrongful auto renewal AND how Avast can use card details that have not been disclosed to you.

By the way. It seems like wrongful (illegal) auto renewals is something that happens frequently to buyers of your other products too.  :-\

Orders, Renewals, and Refunds - FAQs
https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/Order-Renew-Refund-FAQ

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 02:32:41 PM »
Hello Christian,

I can see that you have two licenses with us, registered to two different email addresses. Both licenses began as 60-day trial licenses, which require you to agree to the auto-renewal at the time of registering for the trial. You have previously cancelled the auto-renewal for the license registered to the email address that you are registered to this forum with, but the auto-renewal was never cancelled for the second license.

As regards the card details, your payment card company provided updated details when the new card was activated - it is standard practice for Visa, MasterCard and American Express to provide this information to merchants with whom you have a subscription. If you speak to your bank/card issuer, you may be able to opt out of this update service.

As the renewal has been processed very recently, I can cancel the license and refund the payment for you under our 30-day no questions refund policy. Please let me know if you would like me to do this for you.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 03:51:41 PM »
Thanks for a nicely formulated reply.

(Nice because: I have previously sent mails with questions regarding a potential second license for Security Line that you never have replied to. But it seems like if it's done publicly, you will do.... Note: I do not ever mail to any no-reply mails)

However, the license I am referring to in this subject does not even show up on my license page. Unless you are listing them wrongly (as for expiry dates and names). There only shows the Avast Secure Line x 2 (whereof one runs out on the 17th of June). Not the Avast Security Pro (which seems to run out tomorrow, 12th of june). And it's impossible to even log in from the pro app since you won't recognize any of the two emails used or the any of the license numbers received (expired or active ones. And yes, all of them are stored properly).

As for the trials of your VPN-servive (Secure Line) : one was downloaded first. then another trial to another person's mobile where they license key later was used from the first one + renewal denied for the second one (or vice versa - it doesn't matter). Still it seems like you charged me twice or optionally you have charged me for one (1) VPN-servive + the Security Pro without stating that I have it (yes I do still have it), not recognizing any used mail used or license number/key etc. I don't have time right now to go back ad check charges to my card 10-12 months ago, i.e. if you've charged 3 times or just two.

The Avast Security Pro was not set for auto-renewal! And that's the one I'm referring to. If by mistake set for the Security Line, take it away! Or are you confusing me with the naming of your sold products?

As offered from you: Take away any renewal that you might have listed for Security Line AND Avast Security Pro. Please confirm primarily to my mail listed with you (as that is the legally binding reply) and you might reply here too if you want to.

Hello Christian,

I can see that you have two licenses with us, registered to two different email addresses. Both licenses began as 60-day trial licenses, which require you to agree to the auto-renewal at the time of registering for the trial. You have previously cancelled the auto-renewal for the license registered to the email address that you are registered to this forum with, but the auto-renewal was never cancelled for the second license.

As regards the card details, your payment card company provided updated details when the new card was activated - it is standard practice for Visa, MasterCard and American Express to provide this information to merchants with whom you have a subscription. If you speak to your bank/card issuer, you may be able to opt out of this update service.

As the renewal has been processed very recently, I can cancel the license and refund the payment for you under our 30-day no questions refund policy. Please let me know if you would like me to do this for you.

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 04:56:41 PM »
Hello Christian,

I'm afraid that I cannot locate any record that you have contacted our support using either email address that we have on record for you. Please be advised that you cannot send an email directly to our support inbox; for PC/Mac products, you must submit a ticket using the form found here: https://support.avast.com/contact/.

The two licenses that I found under your name are for Avast SecureLine Multidevice (registered to the email you are using on the forum - expiring on Jun/17/2019), and Avast Security Pro (registered to the second email address - expiring Jun/12/2020). The Avast Security Pro license is the license for which a renewal has just been charged.

You will currently not be able to see the Avast Security Pro license in your Avast account because it is registered to a different email address. In order to see this license, you would need to add and verify the second email address to the account, or create a second account using the second email address.

The second SecureLine license that you mention is a mobile license that was purchased through iTunes. Apple manage all subscriptions and purchases made through iTunes and I am unable to access any information about the subscription or any auto-renewal that you may have set on their system - but I have managed to locate the license because it was linked to your Avast account. This mobile license expired 3 days ago on our licensing system, and there appears to have been no renewal.

The Avast Security Pro license was the only license purchased through Avast that you had not already cancelled the auto-renewal subscription for. I have disabled this now and you will not be automatically charged for any further subscriptions in relation to this license. I have requested an email confirming this from our distributor (Digital River), which you will receive today to the email address to which this license is registered. Please advise if you would like me to refund the recent payment made as well.

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 05:58:28 PM »
I do not agree at all to all what You have stated here and without challenging my memory too much I can say that there are at least some faults.

Also: If you claim the auto renewal is not cancelled why on earth are you then sending notifications through the app asking me to renew Instead of a reminder or allert on that it WILL be renewed? That's wrong and not serious.

And as for not being able to access the Security Pro account through the application itself (with none of the emails used or licenses received): something more is wrong. And adding to that: when I have asked to reset the login credentials you don't even recognize any of the mail addresses. Say no more

And yes. If there were any doubts in my former reply, refund the payment done through Digital River for Avast Pro asap. And since you hereby confirm that the license is mine, send a confirmation to the mail used at this account please (since no other mail seem to work with you).

But as Indicated
Hello Christian,

I'm afraid that I cannot locate any record that you have contacted our support using either email address that we have on record for you. Please be advised that you cannot send an email directly to our support inbox; for PC/Mac products, you must submit a ticket using the form found here: https://support.avast.com/contact/.

The two licenses that I found under your name are for Avast SecureLine Multidevice (registered to the email you are using on the forum - expiring on Jun/17/2019), and Avast Security Pro (registered to the second email address - expiring Jun/12/2020). The Avast Security Pro license is the license for which a renewal has just been charged.

You will currently not be able to see the Avast Security Pro license in your Avast account because it is registered to a different email address. In order to see this license, you would need to add and verify the second email address to the account, or create a second account using the second email address.

The second SecureLine license that you mention is a mobile license that was purchased through iTunes. Apple manage all subscriptions and purchases made through iTunes and I am unable to access any information about the subscription or any auto-renewal that you may have set on their system - but I have managed to locate the license because it was linked to your Avast account. This mobile license expired 3 days ago on our licensing system, and there appears to have been no renewal.

The Avast Security Pro license was the only license purchased through Avast that you had not already cancelled the auto-renewal subscription for. I have disabled this now and you will not be automatically charged for any further subscriptions in relation to this license. I have requested an email confirming this from our distributor (Digital River), which you will receive today to the email address to which this license is registered. Please advise if you would like me to refund the recent payment made as well.

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 06:30:01 PM »
Hello Christian,

In addition to the messages asking you to renew through the app, we sent 3 emails advising you that your payment card had expired, but we would still be attempting to process the renewal. Only once the initial attempt to renew failed was our distributor able to update the new payment information. I have sent you a PM confirming the second email address that was used for the order now so that you can check these emails.

I believe that we may be having some communication issues around discussing the account. Our system does not recognize your request to reset the login credentials for the second email address because you do not have an account registered with that email address. You would have to either add the second email to your existing account, or create a new account under the second email in order to login to view the license on the my.avast.com website.

I have now notified our distributor about the refund and they will arrange this transaction. Please be aware, it may take between 5 to 7 business days to complete the refund process, and to have the funds back in your account. I have requested a copy of the confirmation of the auto-renewal being cancelled to your main email address now, and I will do the same for the confirmation email for the refund when it is generated.

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 07:01:42 PM »
1. No mails (or even 3 as you say) from You ,or your partner (Digital River?) who does the billing, have been received to the other mail account regarding a card renewal!!

2. I have asked the Avast Pro app to reset the login credentials with the any mail accounts I have, including the one I bought it from.

3. If I buy a second product from you by using another email account, this obviously does not work because as I guess what you say is that a second account must be set up manually (and without me being notified about that necessity, which is not good at all...) or must be merged to the account from the first purchase.

Well thanks for letting me know.

4. I shall wait a few days for the refund or denounce it with my bank to get it on the day (yes that's the law in the country where I live)

Case closed.

Hello Christian,

In addition to the messages asking you to renew through the app, we sent 3 emails advising you that your payment card had expired, but we would still be attempting to process the renewal. Only once the initial attempt to renew failed was our distributor able to update the new payment information. I have sent you a PM confirming the second email address that was used for the order now so that you can check these emails.

I believe that we may be having some communication issues around discussing the account. Our system does not recognize your request to reset the login credentials for the second email address because you do not have an account registered with that email address. You would have to either add the second email to your existing account, or create a new account under the second email in order to login to view the license on the my.avast.com website.

I have now notified our distributor about the refund and they will arrange this transaction. Please be aware, it may take between 5 to 7 business days to complete the refund process, and to have the funds back in your account. I have requested a copy of the confirmation of the auto-renewal being cancelled to your main email address now, and I will do the same for the confirmation email for the refund when it is generated.