Author Topic: Aggressive avast  (Read 3008 times)

Offline itcrowd

Aggressive avast
« on: June 14, 2019, 09:55:32 PM »
Hi there,

The question is simply, why does a purchased software send any advertisement to our face?
"Your PC is not operating at maximum performance" => Get the Avast Cleanup
"Your current location XXX is visible" => Get the Avast Secureline VPN

it is not a free software where I can accept the advertisement, it is a purchased and premier software. I'm angry to avast because it always shows dialogs and it cannot be disabled.
the Its advertising is too aggressive, I don't like it.

regards,

Offline itcrowd

Re: Aggressive avast
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 09:59:54 PM »
it can be disabled under the settings\Data settings\Shows offers for our other products.

lucky. :)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 08:26:43 PM »
Hi there,

The question is simply, why does a purchased software send any advertisement to our face?
"Your PC is not operating at maximum performance" => Get the Avast Cleanup
"Your current location XXX is visible" => Get the Avast Secureline VPN

it is not a free software where I can accept the advertisement, it is a purchased and premier software. I'm angry to avast because it always shows
dialogs and it cannot be disabled.

Its advertising is too aggressive, I don't like it.

regards,

In addition, I'm Curious, Did you do a "Custom Install" of your Avast?
Check here: Menu>Settings>Troubleshooting> ADD/Modify Components,  to make sure you only have the components installed that you want besides the needed Shields and Firewall, uncheck all others.

I don't get adds for components I "don't have installed"
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 08:29:42 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 09:08:19 PM »
<snip quote>
Check here: Menu>Settings>Troubleshooting> ADD/Modify Components,  to make sure you only have the components installed that you want besides the needed Shields and Firewall, uncheck all others.

This being a VPN ad and I don't have the Secureline VPN component installed, doesn't stop me getting the VPN ad in the free version.  I don't believe it is based on if you have the securline VPN component installed, but based on the sites you visit.

Regardless, this is a particularly bad ad along with others that use/abuse the privilege of Avast being installed on MY system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 09:15:12 PM »
<snip quote>

This being a VPN ad and I don't have the Secureline VPN component installed, doesn't stop me getting the VPN ad in the free version.  I don't believe it is based on if you have the securline VPN component installed, but based on the sites you visit.

Regardless, this is a particularly bad ad along with others that use/abuse the privilege of Avast being installed on MY system.

Yes I should have stated that if the extra components installed are subscribed too, for example I have paid Sercureline and don't get adds then you wouldn't receive an add. At least that's what I'm understanding keeping in mind that I'm  referring to my experiences having Paid version of Premier and Secureline subscription.
Please correct me if I'm missing something.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 09:34:36 PM »
<snip quotes>
Yes I should have stated that if the extra components installed are subscribed too, for example I have paid Sercureline and don't get adds then you wouldn't receive an add. At least that's what I'm understanding keeping in mind that I'm  referring to my experiences having Paid version of Premier and Secureline subscription.

Based on your comment as a paid user of Secureline VPN and not receiving these ads and the OP receiving them, I could only conclude that he didn't have Secureline VPN.

So 'itcrowd' getting hit by the ad is very poor giving he has a paid product, yet he has to go hunting for an option to disable these ads (they should be off by default).  Why take the chance of pi55ing off a paying customer with what are onerous ads.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 09:45:46 PM »
<snip quotes>

Based on your comment as a paid user of Secureline VPN and not receiving these ads and the OP receiving them, I could only conclude that he didn't have Secureline VPN.

So 'itcrowd' getting hit by the ad is very poor giving he has a paid product, yet he has to go hunting for an option to disable these ads (they should be off by default).  Why take the chance of pi55ing off a paying customer with what are onerous ads.

+1 agreed

Offline Michael1949

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 06:33:19 PM »
I have been going thru the same problem.  Avast advertising is getting annoying.  The pop ads are impacting my ability to get work done.  I have paid for the VPN, like the product, hate the ads.  Anyway to get them to stop?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 07:09:26 PM »
I have been going thru the same problem.  Avast advertising is getting annoying.  The pop ads are impacting my ability to get work done.  I have paid for the VPN, like the product, hate the ads.  Anyway to get them to stop?

This was mentioned in Reply #1
However this topic is almost a year old program settings could well have changed.

Check this attached image, it might be more recent than this topic.
EDIT: Changed attached image.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 07:11:35 PM by DavidR »