Author Topic: FYI: Avast Omni App for iOS issue  (Read 1124 times)

Offline J.Spiers

FYI: Avast Omni App for iOS issue
« on: July 02, 2019, 08:09:28 AM »
After getting Omni up and going on my PC with the beta subscription, I went to add my iPhone to the "Your Home" section as a new device. When I went to the www.avast.com/omni-app URL, rather than move to the iOS App Store, the site prompts for a download for a .DMG file. The only option available was to save it to iCloud drive since iOS really doesn't know how to handle macOS disk image files.

I suspect that you're going to have to figure out a way to get it onto the iOS App store (not sure exactly how it works) where only beta participants are able to access it. I can't say that I've ever seen a beta-test for an iOS app before on the App Store so I'm not sure what that would entail.

Offline J.Spiers

UPDATE: FYI: Avast Omni App for iOS issue
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 11:29:09 PM »
So, I learned a couple of things.

First, when you try to add an iOS device as one of your own under your "you" profile in Omni, it doesn't generate a short-code URL. It gives the one I posted in my previous post. This won't work for iOS as I had mentioned since it tries to download a .DMG file. Javascript solution to detect iOS Device maybe?

Second, when done under a different profile in Omni, my Wife's in this case, the short-code URL takes you to the Test Flight app in the iOS App Store. That makes sense for beta-software. However, after installing the Test Flight app and reloading the URL, Test Flight gives an error saying the requested app doesn't exist.

I'll make another "me" account in Omni on my PC and experiment with my iOS devices since my wife isn't as tech-savvy as I am. =)

Jess

Offline J.Spiers

Re: FYI: Avast Omni App for iOS issue
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 11:42:04 PM »
Another Update:

I made a new "me" profile in Omni and attempted to add my iPhone. I went through the motions of installing TestFlight and encountered the same issue as on my Wife's iPhone. Here's a screenshot of what comes up in TestFlight when following the link provided in Omni.

Offline FilipV

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 04:46:15 PM »
Hi J.Spiers,

we're currently in the process of making the iOS app available through the App Store. It should be done within the next couple of days and once ready, the redirects should correctly work as well.

I'll let you when it's available for you to download and use.

Offline J.Spiers

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 02:25:44 AM »
Hi J.Spiers,

we're currently in the process of making the iOS app available through the App Store. It should be done within the next couple of days and once ready, the redirects should correctly work as well.

I'll let you when it's available for you to download and use.

Hey Filip,

No worries. Once I went through the process on my wife's iPhone, I realized that you were doing it through TestFlight. Once that is set up, I'll get it installed on our iOS devices so we can test it there. So far, everything else has been flawless. Windows, Mac, and Android devices are working well. I received the Omni hub and got it set up with little issue.

Jess

Offline FilipV

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 04:02:57 PM »
Hi Jess,

just an update here: both iOS apps are be now available in the App Store.
The pairing link for family members should now redirect you correctly and redirect on www.avast.com/omni-app will be updated shortly.
In the meantime you can search for "Avast Omni - Family Guardian" in the App Store  :)

Filip

Offline J.Spiers

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 04:42:00 PM »
Filip,

Awesome! I'll get it installed on all of my iOS devices so I (and the family because they don't have a choice. ;) ) can start testing it there.

Jess

Offline J.Spiers

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 08:25:08 PM »
Filip,

I installed the family guardian app on my iPhone and iPad. Works great so far. I’ll submit some actual feedback on it here pretty soon. Right off the bat the only thing I would recommend would be support for the iPad in landscape mode. Should be a fairly simple UI fix. Portrait makes perfect sense on the iPhone, however, the iPad version could use portrait/landscape detection.

Jess

Offline Republic of Haney

• VP - Special Systems Engineering (not @ avast)
  • Beta Tester
  • To the Republic
    • MDHaney, Living Forward.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 10:25:03 AM »
On all my devices, the download URL still prompts a DMG download.  I was able to find the apps in the app store its working from there.  Definitely need to get that fixed before this moves out of Beta.
Those who fail to code are doomed to repeat themselves.

Offline FilipV

• Avast team
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 05:27:51 PM »
We now updated the download URL so it should redirect you to the proper version on all platforms  :)

Offline J.Spiers

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 11:35:04 PM »
I forgot to mention that once I had the Omni Hub activated and plugged in, I was able to assign devices to the "Me" profile once they appeared in the Omni software. It was basically an end-run around the original issue that worked, but it's good to hear that you all got the re-directs working the way they should.

On another note, nothing really to report with the iOS versions aside from the serious need for the iPad version to shift to a Landscape UI rather than forced Portrait. 99.9% of the time, my iPad sits in a mount attached to my desk in Landscape.

Jess

Offline FilipV

• Avast team
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 05:19:54 PM »
Thanks Jess, I'll make sure to pass this on.

Filip

Offline Republic of Haney

• VP - Special Systems Engineering (not @ avast)
  • Beta Tester
  • To the Republic
    • MDHaney, Living Forward.
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2019, 01:34:02 AM »
 I can confirm I am getting redirected to the app store now.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 01:37:50 AM by Republic of Haney »
Those who fail to code are doomed to repeat themselves.