Author Topic: Comparing antivirus software  (Read 3531 times)

paroots

Comparing antivirus software
« on: August 13, 2006, 01:44:33 PM »
I am using Avast4 Home antivirus software. I have a friend running Windows XP home with only 256 MByte RAM  (I have 1 GByte RAM). This friend is currently running Norton 2005. What I would like to do is run some kind of comparison test on his computer to determine the effect of Avast vs Norton on system performance. I am not so concerned with on-demand scans because they can be run overnight. Mostly, I am concerned with the resident processing (eg, percent of processor used and percent of memory used) because that will compete with all other tasks while the computer is in use. Alternatively, perhaps others have published a review on this subject.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Comparing antivirus software
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 03:27:02 PM »
Many avast users have made the move from Norton and most report there system is faster after the complete removal of NAV, not an easy task as there are often remnants left after an uninstall (as topics in this forum reflect). avast is relatively light on resources when compared to many other AVs.

Unfortunately there is no way you can compare two AVs at the same time on the same system as it can conflict between the two resident scanner, which could lock up your system and leave you less protected.

The only way would be to uninstall NAV, reboot and install avast, even then he may have to run the NAV removal tool.

Example of avast resource use on my system, this during periods of intense activity will rise in the same way as other AVs whilst scanning.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 03:31:26 PM »
The better will be, in my opinion:
1. Test Norton memory usage in that computer and write down the results (remark all Norton executables).
2. Full uninstall of Norton (using SymNRT after the Control Panel Add/Remove program: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SymNRT.exe)
3. Install avast, boot, register...
4. Test avast there (see for all avast executables).

Remember to show Virtual Memory column in the Task Manager.

Well, other option is believe us... avast uses less resources than Norton.
Better balance (between protection and resources usage) will be the Normal sensitivity level on Standard Shield.
The best things in life are free.

paroots

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 03:38:55 PM »
Thanks for the feeback. My analysis doesn't show much difference with the resources used by Norton vs Avast due to resident processing. I will go ahead and install Avast on the friend's computer largely due to the reviews I have read indicating that it has a much smaller footprint than Norton. Also, the fact it's free is sure a nice bonus! Is there anywhere that the typical settings are documents for doing a nightly scan. Can I assume the factory defaults are the normally recommended settings?

Spiritsongs

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 05:09:34 PM »
 :)  Hi Paroots :

Even after "uninstalling" Norton from Add/Remove AND
     running the SymNRT "Removal Tool", I recommend using
     your friend's "Search > All files and folders", using the
     search "term" "Symantec" & later "Norton" & "Delete" all
     appropiate items. And you may want to use a registry
     cleaner to remove entries there !?
     After Avast is installed & updated, it would be best to go
     through the "Settings" and conform them to your friend's
     computer, especially the 2 "Update" categories.

paroots

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 07:27:30 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I made a Recovery CD for his computer sometime back using Acronis TrueImage V9. The Recovery CD was made just before Norton was installed so I can go back before and be absolutely sure that no trace of Norton exists. That'll be a nice feeling! Data was backed up recently so that's not an issue either. Thanks again.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 07:50:48 PM »
Smart things to do. (backup & recovery cd)
I wish everyone did that.
Now I keep wiping the floor.
All those tears people leave behind here  ;)