Author Topic: False detection - I hope  (Read 6245 times)

Offline zimm

False detection - I hope
« on: January 14, 2004, 02:54:06 PM »
I use WinME's 'System Restore' often and it creates a _restore folder.

Today for the first time my 4Home version has detected the _restore folder full of viruses - Win32:Vybab (wrm).

This can't be !!!  My computer is clean yet the resore files are detected as containing viruses.

Thanks for your thoughs on this.....

Zimm

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:False detection - I hope
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 02:58:28 PM »
There are more reports of this on the forum. Read them I would say. It is likely a bug within Avast.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 05:11:24 PM »
To find out if it's a false positive or not, pick one of the files and submit it to virus@avast.com - along with a short description or link to this thread...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 01:32:48 AM »
Zimm if just the files into System Restore folder are infected - which will be a little strange or difficult in my opinion - why don't you disable the System Restore, boot and enable it again... The 'false positives' will be 'deleted' from your system.

Anyway, Vlk is right, send the infected files - with information - for analysis. Wellcome to forums and good luck with your cleaning...  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline zimm

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 04:09:08 PM »
The problem I reported is GONE!  ???

All the files in c:\_restore\temp\xxxxxx no longer shows a virus.  In fact all but one of the previously checked files are gone..I guess that is why this folder is called temp.

All files in this folder do now show password protected and can not be scanned.  I guess that is a MS password, I did not do it.

When I reported this problem the files reported were not password protected as the report did also show the protected files in the folder.

I did coyp&paste the one original file that remains in the temp folder to another non-password folder and ran a virus check.  The file now shows it to be clean.

Since several other people reported similar problems around their systems at the same time of my problem I'll just assume one of the virus updates fixed the problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 08:12:11 PM »
The problem I reported is GONE!  ???

All the files in c:\_restore\temp\xxxxxx no longer shows a virus.  In fact all but one of the previously checked files are gone..I guess that is why this folder is called temp.

All files in this folder do now show password protected and can not be scanned.  I guess that is a MS password, I did not do it.

When I reported this problem the files reported were not password protected as the report did also show the protected files in the folder.

I did coyp&paste the one original file that remains in the temp folder to another non-password folder and ran a virus check.  The file now shows it to be clean.

Since several other people reported similar problems around their systems at the same time of my problem I'll just assume one of the virus updates fixed the problem.

That were MS protected files (for system restoring). I think they are protected one by one (not a 'folder' password). And they are temporary, the system must leave some space to 'save' another system shot for recovery, I mean, you have a shot after another...

Don't worry! It's normal and probably everything is ok as you did a full scan after all.  ;D
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

Re: False detection - I hope
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 04:16:48 AM »
Oh!  Was looking in the forum due to 5 program files that my Pro couldn't scan. Password protected. <knocks palm against forehead> They are "recovery" files. Updated Win 8.1 to Win 10 and also did the latest November update yesterday for Win 10.  :P

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 10:58:20 AM »
When checking a webboard and before posting....
Have a look at the date of the posts.
This thread has been dead for almost 12(!) years.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 05:44:32 AM »
So why no posts for Windows 10? I believe Avast may be causing a lag viewing video's on Facebook. No problems with my windows. All up to date and my Desktop is less than a year old.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 04:09:15 PM »
So why no posts for Windows 10? I believe Avast may be causing a lag viewing video's on Facebook. No problems with my windows. All up to date and my Desktop is less than a year old.

The fact that the can't be scanned means only that, they can't be scanned and avast is reporting that fact. If you had searched on file can't be scanned, you would most likely find a huge number of posts as this is a very common question.

Here is one almost as old as this topic and the reason hasn't changed. See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=35347.msg297170#msg297170 this topic for more information on why files can't be scanned.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

By examining 1) the file name, 2) reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 3) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

If you can give some examples of those file names, the locations and reason given why it can't be scanned might help us further ?

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security