Author Topic: Avast is now cutting my FPS in half in my games, very pissed off about this  (Read 3675 times)

Offline Angyr

Avast version: Free
Windows 10 64-bit

Originally posted this on the Avast subreddit a few minutes ago but I'm just going to put it here because Avast representatives might not use Reddit that much anyway.

I play a game called Overwatch and a couple others where 144/240 FPS makes a huge difference and will directly affect your performance in the game. I purchased a 240hz monitor because I was hitting about 270+ (at least until a recent Avast update) FPS consistently so that was the right choice.

Well recently I started noticing my FPS was CUT IN HALF oftentimes, yes in half, from around 270-300 FPS down to around 120-210. At this point I had pretty much wasted hundreds of dollars on the 240hz monitor because I was not hitting 240 fps anymore. I was not happy about this at all.

So today I thought to myself, let me see what happens if I just disable my Avast Antivirus, see if there's something it's doing in the background that is leading to these massive FPS drops in my games. Low and behold! My FPS instantly went up from 120-210 to the previous 270-300+ FPS.

Avast...you are cutting my FPS in half in my games...fix this, I'm really pissed off now that I've discovered it was something crazy in your antivirus that wasn't thoroughly tested that is actually reducing the performance in my games.

Offline geoffsmith81

I noted a problem with Win 10 & the latest Avast version here also - https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=229461.msg1522692#msg1522692

The performance impact was unacceptable, I ended up removing Avast completely as I couldn't see how to roll back to an earlier version.
Not only does the software mentioned in my original post now function as expected, but average CPU usage is also reduced by ~50%.

Hopefully the Avast team will address the issue soon and release a new version.

Offline kolar

• Avast team
Hi Angyr,

could you please post here your complete HW specification and Windows 10 verions?

Offline Angyr

These are my specs and the CPU is i7-8700K.

Windows 10 64-Bit Pro Version 1803 Build 17134.950.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:17:49 PM by Angyr »

Offline Angyr

Any help with this? Any news/updates?