Author Topic: Win32:Malware-gen  (Read 8576 times)

Offline Yurii LTVN

Win32:Malware-gen
« on: January 13, 2020, 11:35:17 AM »
Dear all
I learn programming language C, so after saving my programs I have to compile them into .exe files to start and use
But when I compile the .c file to .exe the same time I get the message from Avast that my file with the program infected by Win32:Malware -gen and automatically sent to the virus store.

and after a few attempts to compile my files, I get the message that my compiler is also deactivated because of the potential danger of the
compiler.

When I use the full scan to find this type of the virus on my laptop, Avast can find neither any virus nor a potential danger.
As a result, I can't work

Please help

P.S. I have Avast Premium Security lisence bought and updated it to the last version.

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
Re: Win32:Malware-gen
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 02:15:52 PM »
The problem with C is the direct access to memory it has.

Try compiling a hello world program.

Code: [Select]
#include <stdio.h>

int main(){
printf("Hello, World");
return true;
}

Still the same problem?

Edit: Formatting error
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 02:18:45 PM by Michael (alan1998) »
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

Offline Yurii LTVN

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 03:26:19 PM »
Hello Michael
unfortunately yes
I compiled a few times "Hello world" and other programming instructions, but every time the result is the same

Every .exe file compiled by me for avast is infected with win32:malware-gen

So now, to have some time to work and learn I turned off Avast. At this moment I don't see any other way to resolve this moment

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 03:54:26 PM »
Hello Michael
unfortunately yes
I compiled a few times "Hello world" and other programming instructions, but every time the result is the same

Every .exe file compiled by me for avast is infected with win32:malware-gen

So now, to have some time to work and learn I turned off Avast. At this moment I don't see any other way to resolve this moment

You can try adding a global exception to your development directory. I'm assuming you're using something like MinGW (gcc)

https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/Antivirus-scan-exclusions
VOLUNTEER

Offline Yurii LTVN

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 04:52:48 PM »
Yes
exactly this compiler I  use

But do I really have this type of virus on my laptop or Avast doesn't understand the role of the compiler and "thinks" that it is a some kind of danger program?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 04:55:56 PM by Yurii LTVN »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 05:03:35 PM »
Win32:Malware -gen  = A generic detection has identified a program or file that has features or behaviors similar to a virus.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck ..... but in the computer world that is sometimes wrong

you may report it  >>  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14433.msg1289438#msg1289438

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 10:25:05 PM »
Yes
exactly this compiler I  use

But do I really have this type of virus on my laptop or Avast doesn't understand the role of the compiler and "thinks" that it is a some kind of danger program?

I learnt C a year or ago :P.

The short answer is "highly unlikely". The chances that you have a file infector is rather uncommon. However, if you're particularly curious, you can always decompile it (ghidra in KALI will do this for you) and make sure nothing is being attached.

What program version are you running (and signatures version). Accessible through the UI.

Just double check that you're all up-to-date. Pondus is correct. Gen means Generic.

Check this article for updating: https://support.avast.com/article/Update-Antivirus
VOLUNTEER