Author Topic: Easier procedure for reporting suspicious file  (Read 2902 times)

imwarren

Easier procedure for reporting suspicious file
« on: August 31, 2006, 02:13:49 AM »
I recently came across a undetected suspicious file in my computer. I was sourcing around for antivirus companies which can analyse them. I realised that avast's reporting procedure is quite troublesome, to attach in e-mail may mean the file never reach avast due to other virus scanners with heuristics on the way. I know we can encrypt the file, but that can means accidental activation of the file.

I chanced upon antivir's file reporting. It is a web-based form. Which i found easy to use.

http://www.avira.com/en/support/submit_suspicious_files.html

Within 1 day, i received this e-mail:
------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your recent inquiry.

We found a new virus in the attachment you have sent us.
The signature will be integrated in one of our next updates.
The signature of the virus will be detected as TR/Agent.XW.

We thank you for your assistance.
------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if avast can improve its file reporting procedure. :) In addition, novice anti-virus users should be given more awareness (pop-up when installing avast?) that they can contribute to computer security by helping to report suspicious files not detected.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Easier procedure for reporting suspicious file
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 03:51:29 PM »
Well you can add it to the virus chest (User Files, Add) and sent it from there (right click and select email to Alwil software), it still goes by email but you don't have to zip and password protect it. With an attachment zipped and password protected or encrypted, I strongly doubt that email scanners heuristics will detect it.

Heuristics aren't anything special like code breakers they just use a different means of detection but that still relies on the file being unencrypted or password protected. To break the encryption of password would require additional processing effort which I doubt many ISPs/email servers would employ as it could slow things considerably.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

imwarren

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 08:34:01 AM »
:)Thank You for the quick reply

Can I make a recommendation to the next version of avast! ?
(i know there is such post for this purpose already, i feel it is more appropriate to suggest it here)

Can we have a explorer extension such that we can right-click then "sent to avast! chest", or even "sent to avast! lab". This right-click function will certainly make it easier to report suspicious files. I wonder if this is feasible... ???

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 12:01:56 PM »
Yeah i've requested web form type of uploading suspicious files but so far still nothing. But i think Vlk once mentioned they'll make one. Guess they're still very busy with other stuff.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog