Author Topic: Free license expired, then disappeared  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Timmaine

Free license expired, then disappeared
« on: March 21, 2020, 11:10:25 PM »
Just noticed an hour or so ago that the Avast icon had a big red circle with a white X on it. Clicked it, waited for everything to load, waited some more, then Avast appeared. Told me my free license expired, but let me click a big nice shiny RESOLVE button.

I clicked that. Another window pops up, takes a long, long, long, long time to show anything, then says it couldn't connect, or that there was a problem with the connection, or something.

Started poking around the licenses menu, but then my free license subscription disappears entirely from the list.

wtf?

Went to my.avast.com, but that stalls halfway through and never loads. After seeing it mentioned in a different forum post, I tried going to id.avast.com, and that did get me into my account. Unfortunately, it turned out to be thoroughly useless, because you can't do anything with free subscriptions through your account page. IT mentioned something about a mobile app that I don't have, and couldn't use even if I did.

How do I get my/a/any free license back and working and updated again?

I'm running XP and Avast Free v. 18.6.2349.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Free license expired, then disappeared
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 01:18:28 AM »
Working from memory here:
What do you see if you open the AvastUI or right click on the Avast tray icon > Registration Information ?

Mine indicates I still have 30 days remaining.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Timmaine

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 02:15:37 AM »
zorn

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 03:06:20 AM »
If that is from the UI as I mentioned and not your id.avast.com account, I don't really know what to suggest other than a clean reinstall.

But I don't know where you might get the same version that you have installed the last version for XP from avast is available here:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=220639.msg1490445#msg1490445 and this is for avast version 18.8.

You could also try the Universal License Key here https://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php but I'm not too hopeful that will work.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Timmaine

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 03:26:49 AM »
No joy on the Universal key. I put that in where it asks for activation codes, right...?

I'll try the reinstall next.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 06:40:18 AM »
Hi, disable your Firewall and try again.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Timmaine

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 09:59:58 PM »
Went to uninstall it, and it gave me a repair option. Figured I should give that a try first; clicked on that. It went though the whole process, but everything stayed the same.

Went through and uninstalled it. Rebooted. Reinstalled from the one linked previously. Installation went fine, but now it's a little weird:
The tray icon is back to the normal Avast logo, and the main Avast screen has the big green shield and says I'm secure. However, when I go over to My Licenses, it's back to telling me that my free subscription is expired and has 0 days remaining, like it did at the very start of all this before things went sideways.

Is this normal for this version, or is something still screwy?

Saw this a little late, but thank you nonetheless. Added Avast to the Exceptions list. Is that gonna cut it?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 07:48:07 AM »
Saw this a little late, but thank you nonetheless. Added Avast to the Exceptions list. Is that gonna cut it?
Ermm, how should we know if it works for you..!? You need to tell us. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0