Author Topic: huristic Avast poor detection rate???  (Read 2748 times)

carioca

huristic Avast poor detection rate???
« on: September 03, 2006, 04:38:59 PM »
 ???
Morning Community and Support Forum,
I have been reading so many users complaining around the world at the security forums about the nowadays avast detection rates compared to the last free avira or even the free kaspersky from aol. For the reasons its heuristic detection rate is very poor. For you information I like best the avast and I am its fan. Thus,I want it will become the best in detection rates but it's good idea to talk about it and about the truth.Please, no heart feelings because here is the exact place to discuss about it. Best regards.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: huristic Avast poor detection rate???
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 05:52:43 PM »
avast does not have Heuristic detection litterally. Only mail scanner has Heuritics in its internals checks.
It does only have the 'generic' signatures.
Anyway, last days we saw a deep improvement on avast detection, and a faster and accurate virus analysis and submition.
Oh, there is a long way to improve and make them better but, as far I can see, it was deeply improved last days  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 05:53:36 PM »
Well since avast doesn't use heuristics in its on-demand scanner, something which many reviews only test (on-demand scans), then it is hardly surprising if someone mentions poor heuristics as it isn't used.

I think you need to take a look at the latest av-comparatives.org on-line results for On-demand comparative - August 2006. If without heuristics and overall percentage of 94.58% you think that is very poor, then you will continually be disappointed by many AVs. If lets say avast were to add heuristics (which it says it hasn't got any plans to currently) it would be only targeting 5.42% to attain 100%.

As has been said many, many, time detection rate is only one reason (an important one) to choose a particular AV. There are many who have tied AntiVir and come back to avast with its less than perfect detection rate. However the proof has to be in the eating, for me, no infections in over two years using avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 06:09:43 PM »
Thus,I want it will become the best in detection rates
We all want that ;)
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon