Author Topic: Avast secure browser keeps opening new help TABS making it impossible to use  (Read 3613 times)

Offline Glenn102

Can anyone help with a very anoying problem or maybe its a virus that Avast can not detect. When ever I use either Avast Secure Browser or Microsoft Edge on windows 10 on this Toshiba PC they are impossible to use, Tabs keep opening on their own and the screen changes to that tab, this keeps happening multiple times / minute making surfing impossible if it is a virus it is triggered sometimes by typing something in or outside the browser, exampe opening Note pad can trigger it. I keep closing the new tabs to get back to the original page but after a short time a new tab or two or three will open. It is performing like a virus and apears inteligent because it will stop for a short while maybe 20 minutes only to trigger again whenever I type into the keyboard click on something or even do nothing. In my mind this is a virus but I am no expert. A scan using Avast finds nothing. the 0nly way I can use this PC is by opening Firefox which seems ok, I have written this help request by using Firefox browser.  I have looked in the Avast help pages to see if I can find some way of asking Avast for Technical help with this or to report a virus/Malware that Avast can not detect but I can not find it. So if anyone has had this before and knows how to cure it I would be very happy. :-\

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
no need to make a new topic here when you already had started one here  >> https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=234048.0

anyway stay in this topic now

did you also run malwarebytes?
did it detect anything? if so attach that log also

« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 04:29:54 PM by Pondus »

Offline Glenn102

Hello  I have downloaded the software MalWareBytes but I can not get it to function it reports instalatio problems even after restarting the PC as advised. I have also tried to uninstall MWB but it reports  uninstall failure. I was hoping to reinstall. I will keep trying to get this app to run

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Hello  I have downloaded the software MalWareBytes but I can not get it to function it reports instalatio problems even after restarting the PC as advised. I have also tried to uninstall MWB but it reports  uninstall failure. I was hoping to reinstall. I will keep trying to get this app to run
Then i would wait and see what @Sass Drake find when he has seen FRST logs, he will then give new instructions

Offline Glenn102

Hello Malwarebytes reinstalled and has found nothing,  I have attached the text report
Thanks for your help pondus

Offline Sass Drake

• MyCity AMF R2
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Please temorary uninstall AirVPN and OpenVPN.

• Open Notepad (click Start button -> type notepad.exe -> press Enter)
  • Copy text from code block below and paste it into Notepad
Code: [Select]
FF HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Mozilla\Firefox: Restriction <==== ATTENTION
CHR HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google: Restriction <==== ATTENTION
  • Go to File -> Save As
  • Make sure that  UTF-8 is selected as Encoding (left side of Save button)
  • Save it as fixlist.txt on Desktop
  • Open again FRST and click on button Fix
  • Wait until FRST finishes
  • fixlog.txt should be genereted and opened. Attach it your post and wait further instructions.

Offline Glenn102

I re ran FRST with the text file as you requested on the desktop avast reported that FRST.exe had a virus or was a virus and moved it to the virus box. Asuming a false positive I restored it and ran it again the resultant fix.log I have attached.

Offline Sass Drake

• MyCity AMF R2
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Please attach new FRST.txt and Addition.txt.

Offline Glenn102

Thank you all, using the tools you advised me to use has helped with the problem, the virus has not gone but is tollerable now.
I have spent a lot of time chasing this virus which now has been subdued by changing the Edge executable to .old
I want to thank everyone who has helped.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
The tools for the most part are for anaysis, the FRST.txt and Addition.txt, provide detailed information that Sass Drake can formulate a plan for removal.

What you have done hsn't removed the probllem, just avoided it.  It woulld be best to follow it through to completion.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security