Author Topic: Time to scan too short  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Richard845

Time to scan too short
« on: May 09, 2020, 06:29:36 PM »
I have Avast Premium. Smart Scan takes just under 1 minute to run and 'virus and malware' section only 19 seconds. The full virus scan, for the entire PC takes only 2 seconds. I know it's not a lot, but there are 400K files on the computer. This time seems too short to do this, especially the full virus scan.

Any thoughts.

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Time to scan too short
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 06:52:58 PM »
Have you made any changes to the default settings for the scan/s ?

Not all of the 400k files are going to be scanned, typically only executable or files that present an immediate risk if run them would be scanned.

Have you checked the Scan History ?
If so a screenshot might help understand what is being scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Richard845

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 08:54:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I changed the default settings to: High Sensitivity, Scan for potentially unwanted programs, Test whole files, Scan  priority: High, Scan all hard drives, Scan all archives, Scan all files, Fix automatically.

Especially with 'test whole files' and 'scan all files' I expected to wait an hour or more to get it done. It still only took 2 seconds.

I'm lost!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 10:06:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I changed the default settings to: High Sensitivity, Scan for potentially unwanted programs, Test whole files, Scan  priority: High, Scan all hard drives, Scan all archives, Scan all files, Fix automatically.

Especially with 'test whole files' and 'scan all files' I expected to wait an hour or more to get it done. It still only took 2 seconds.

I'm lost!

Something certainly not right there.

Did you check the Scan History as I suggested to see what IS being scanned ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Richard845

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 10:42:23 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to tell you about it. I tried scanning a while later and it didn't even register that a scan had been attempted. Figuring that maybe some scan history was still in RAM and interfering with the program, I closed all programs and restarted. Now, the scans are no longer listed in the history list.

The full scans from this morning are showing 3 files and 2 folders.

Thanks.

Offline Richard845

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 10:44:26 PM »
to NELSON121

I'm using Avast Premier

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 01:19:16 AM »
Sorry, I forgot to tell you about it. I tried scanning a while later and it didn't even register that a scan had been attempted. Figuring that maybe some scan history was still in RAM and interfering with the program, I closed all programs and restarted. Now, the scans are no longer listed in the history list.

The full scans from this morning are showing 3 files and 2 folders.

Thanks.

The Scan History shouldn't be in RAM it is written to a file and when you view Scan History that is imported into the Scan History window.  That said in your scan settings you have to have the Report file option checked in the scan settings (though I thought that was enabled by default).

3 files and 2 folders would seem completely wrong, especially for a Full Scan.  I kicked one off when I started this reply and it is still running, but I running avast 20.2.2401 not the latest  version. 

I rarely ever run on-demand scans (exception when checking something forum related) as their use is much diminished on a resident on-access antivirus scanner.  That said they should work when used.

EDIT: Scan finished after 14 minutes and a large amount of data scanned 151.8GB, see last attached image.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 01:26:09 AM by DavidR »