Author Topic: Been hacked twice with ransomware while running avast in past month  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Geoff75

I don't understand I have avast installed and paid for it and the ransomware protection and I have now been infected twice. Just lost all photos I had of my dad who died and my sons childhood.  These bastards should die a thousand deaths.  I don't know how this keeps happening when I am running Avast scans daily keeping it up to date and had the ransomware protection.  Very disappointed.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Ransomware is often spread through phishing emails that contain malicious attachments or through drive-by downloading. Drive-by downloading occurs when a user unknowingly visits an infected website and then malware is downloaded and installed without the user's knowledge.

An av-solution can assist you to keep your device secure, but it cannot help where users do not use common computer hygiene, that means not clicking inside e-mails, keeping all software up to date, not performing suspicious downloads.

There are no complete solutions to all of the end-user's problems. What you click is your own responsibility to a certain extent. When protection means not clicking links inside e-mails, do not do so or pre-scan that suspicious link. Look before you leap.

Installing an (any) av-solution does not mean, you are completely out of harm's way you and you can lean back. That was never in the bargain, still a lot of end-users have such false expectations and when a zero-day or new ransomware befalls them, they blame their av-solution. Malware often enters through curiosity killing the proverbial animal.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Geoff75

I don't click on email attachments or go to whatever a shady website is.  I would expect my antivirus to tell me if I went to a shady website on accident.  You market it as ransomware protection good to know it's useless.

Offline PDI

• Avast team
Hi Geoff75,

could you please share the logs from your machine and the names of ransomware you encountered and which we haven't stopped?

Maybe there is an free decryptor for it.

Thanks,
PDI

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
... I have now been infected twice. Just lost all photos ...
Sorry to hear.
No AV program is 100% effective. It is always important to back-up all user files to an external drive and then physically disconnect that drive from your system afterwards. Alternatively use a cloud backup solution. That way you can reinstate your fies at a later date.
Computers can still fail for many reasons not just due to malware.