Author Topic: Problems with network.  (Read 2885 times)

bloodysucker

Problems with network.
« on: March 10, 2006, 03:07:04 PM »
I am trying to connect 2 PCs that both use  Windows XP Professional. I have cable internet and the connection is through a router.

When doing all the necessary and estabilishing the network. The PC that has Avast works fine. I can see the shared files from the other PC and it works fine, but the other PC can't see the files that the PC with  Avast shares. I know the problem must be Avast since my friend that had a working network connection before at his home, after installing avast on one PC has the same problem as I do. The connection worked fine before installing avast and now it looks like avast is blocking  my PC from connecting to the network actively (sharing my files) but only lets accept files from the other PCs in the network.

On the PC that is using Avast I have no other firewall, I disabled the Windows one, and the same I did on the other pc. On the other PC the antivirus program is NOD 32. Please don't tell me to install Avast on the other PC too, because that PC is not mine and I can't do it.

Please help.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 03:10:51 PM by bloodysucker »

mauserme

Re: Problems with network.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 05:45:05 AM »
Hello and welcome,

If I understand this correctly the avast! computer is working fine but the other computer isn't.  I'm not too sure about avast! being the problem in this situation.  Or maybe avast! is only half of the problem.

I haven't used NOD so this is a guess, but from what I've read the Adminstrator version (for use in a LAN/WAN environment) is incompatable with the use of other av programs on computers in the network.  If this is the version installed on the other pc, there may be a way to turn off Adminstrator functions and revert to the Standard mode.  Look in the Network tab in the Control Center.

There is also a NOD32 forum that migh be able to shed more light on this

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php

faithmw

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 11:28:12 PM »
My son who has a standalone PC recommended downloading Avast.  I work for an impoverished school library which has a network of XP's and I thought, Great!  I'll install Avast. I did & all seemed fine. Then the networked printers stopped working for the computers which were not directly attached to printers.  The administrator, who far prefers Macs, is disturbed and I have no idea what to do, or what happened.  Perhaps I should have been more careful to get rid of any other virus protection-- Norton, with expired subscription. 

Any help would be appreciated.  When I tried removing Avast and remnants of Norton from one machine, the printer still did not function.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Faithmw

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 12:25:49 AM »
A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mauserme

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 02:33:05 AM »
Hi faithmw, and welcome to you too.

When was printer sharing lost - immediately after installing avast! or sometime later?

Is the entire network down or just printer sharing?  I mean, can you see the other computers in the network?  Do you still have file sharing?