Author Topic: Settings in Avast Free for scanning  (Read 1190 times)

Offline jaygonlarkin

Settings in Avast Free for scanning
« on: June 25, 2020, 03:02:02 PM »
Apologies if this query has been presented on the forums in times past.

I'm having an issue with PDF:URLMal-inf[Trj], during routine scans. I have researched the origin of this type of 'reported malware'
and understand that it pertains to links (to outside websites) which are contained in the PDF files and which have been blacklisted/reported as vulnerable. I also understand that in some cases the reports 'may' be false positives.

My issue is that I have over 20 external hard drives of archived material, spanning over the past 20 years of collating data. Many of these files are PDF files.

Over the past few months, many of the PDFs have been reported (during routine scans) as being 'infected' with PDF:URLMal-inf[Trj] The emerging reports have been gradual, consistent and ongoing. In the beginning, not fully understanding that the issue pertained to a blacklisted link within the PDF (rather than the PDF file itself), I removed the then-handful of reported offenders.

New reports, however, continued to emerge each week.

Now that I understand the nature of the issue, I would rather amend the settings in Avast (Free) so that all PDF files are not scanned at all during a full or targeted scan. Can this be done?

I understand that it may be percieved as unwise to ignore the reported PDF:URLMal-inf[Trj] but I am operating under the logic that I am unikely to click the links in the PDF's themselves (moving forward). I presume that to expose onself to the potential malware, would require clicking the link and venturing to the outside website?

The only alternative would be to slowly allow my data collection to be culled and deleted in accordance with the now-weekly emerging reports. I would not like this to happen, particulalry as the issue is not with the PDF file itself.

Is it possible in the setting Avast Free to pre-programme the scan so that all PDF files remain unscanned?

Hoping that somebody can advise.

Best,

Jay

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Settings in Avast Free for scanning
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 03:29:28 PM »
Maybe this help?

https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/Antivirus-scan-settings/

scroll down to File Types and see   Name extension based types (fast): scans files with only risky extensions, such as .exe, .com, .bat.

Offline jaygonlarkin

Re: Settings in Avast Free for scanning
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 05:14:30 PM »
This is useful, many thanks!

Ideally it would be better, if it were possible to 'exclude' a single specific file type (PDF, in this instance)

I wonder if there is a workaround for this?