Author Topic: Avast is just absolutely destroying my computer.  (Read 3454 times)

Offline spiral2theunknown

Avast is just absolutely destroying my computer.
« on: July 12, 2020, 09:59:32 AM »
So here's a problem I haven't been able to find any threads for. For the past few weeks, whenever I try to install a game, Avast Engine server or whatever is taking up between 27%-45% of my CPU (usually closer to the 45% side), pushing it to 100% and rendering the thing useless. I'm not running on some weak laptop or something, this is a workstation on Windows 10.

Anyways, obvious answer then is to shut off the Core Shields to disable Avast and stop it from hogging all my resources. The problem is, that shutting off the shields just straight up shuts off my Internet too. I lose connection to everything. Tried unplugged Ethernet and plugging it in again, but I can only restore by waiting the hour I set for the Core Shields to be off or to shut the PC down and start over again. I've concluded that this occurs when I shut off the Web Shield specifically, and the Web Shield is the one hogging the resources. If I shut off File and Behaviour, the usage doesn't go down at all, and if I do the master switch to shut off all Core Shields at once the Internet will also cut out. Now of course, the obvious solution is to just turn the shields back on, but I can't turn the Core Shields back on because Avast thinks that all the shields are already on! It does recognize that some of the individual shields are off in the case that I turn off some individual shields and then do the main Core Shield shutoff, I can't turn them back on they just kinda grey out when I click on them.

Really, the route of this problem is bad software that spams you asking you to pay for more features when the basic functions are just inhibiting the function of the computer it should hypothetically be protecting. I don't exactly want to switch to another anti-malware cuz then I'd have to transfer and wipe my password bank which I do actually quite like, but if I can't even open a basic browser tab while installing a tiny game then I don't have much of a choice.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast is just absolutely destroying my computer.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 10:09:15 AM »
- Which Avast..? (Free/Pro/IS/Premium)
- Which version/build of Avast..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline spiral2theunknown

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 01:26:38 AM »
- Which Avast..? (Free/Pro/IS/Premium)
- Which version/build of Avast..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?

Avast free currently, used whatever the first stage paid version was for a few months in 2017 or something. I apparently am on 20.4.2410 (build 20.4.5312.583) right now, on 64bit Windows 10 Home Edition - latest Windows build since I check for updates regularly.
I have no other security software, only use Avast Antivirus and Avast Passwords, and didn't have an anti-virus before using Avast. I've been using Avast for the past 3 1/2 years.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 02:14:53 AM »
The latest avast program version is 20.5.2415 (build 20.5.5410.561), so I would suggest doing a manual program update from the Avast tray icon.  And see if the problem exists with the latest program version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security