Author Topic: strange error message  (Read 7163 times)

Beast Master

strange error message
« on: September 17, 2006, 06:40:43 PM »
im getting the following message: the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
and under that is:
Storage cannot be created for the "splash" task
im not sure but i feel its preventing the avast from running tests. but appears to be working while on line. what causes this error? i have updated and used the REPAIR feature to try to fix this.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 06:42:37 PM by Beast Master »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: strange error message
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 07:18:46 PM »
im getting the following message: the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process and under that is: Storage cannot be created for the "splash" task
Since version 4.7.807 a new data storage called SQLT is used by avast! Which version are you using?
The best things in life are free.

Beast Master

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 11:49:44 PM »
im using  Avast 4.7 Home edition

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 12:06:40 AM »
im usingĀ  Avast 4.7 Home edition
Please, check the buid of it... About dialog will show it.

Beast Master

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 04:39:49 AM »
it says ther build is: 4.7.871
im running windows ME

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 03:03:31 PM »
it says ther build is: 4.7.871
im running windows ME
Are you using the Home version? Did you use the trial period?
Did you insert a valid registration key?

Beast Master

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 03:37:22 PM »
yes its the home version.  yes ive put in the registration number key. everything is up to date. this is about 6 months on this home version. ive used Avast for quite sometime and never saw this message before. nor have i had any problems with it till recently. im not new to avast just new to this forum.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 09:45:18 PM »
Go to the SSL page version and register from there: https://secure.avast.com/scripts/register.php?lang=ENG
See the tutorial:  http://www.avast.com/files/tutorials/insert_key.htm
Please take a look here: http://www.avast.com/eng/i_was_successfully_r.html

Besides this:
1) Check your system date and time.
2) The Registration key is valid for 14 months. Has this period expired? Register again (for free).
3) Use copy & paste method to apply the key (take care to not copy the 'last' blank space at the end of the paragraph: copy only the key).

It shouldn't have any 'storage' problem nowadays...  ??? ::)

Beast Master

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 06:28:40 AM »
i will check the URLs after this post. but to answer the others. normally, when your avast is about to expire, it will auto send you a notification that says your avast free home edition is about to expire.  and in some cases HAS expired.  Date and Time is fine. as stated, registration key is only 6 months old. and i have 80 gig hardrive 1.6 athlon processor, and 1 gig memory.  shouldnt be any storage problems is correct.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 01:51:29 PM »
Beast Master, did you change the file system? (from FAT32 to NTFS)

Beast Master

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 01:05:45 AM »
it is supposed to be FAT32, when i checked the system it says system 32, so im assuming that is what it means. does that make a difference?, since ive been running Avast on this very system for 6 months. just recently it started giving this message. i also cant scan anything.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 02:57:58 AM »
it is supposed to be FAT32, when i checked the system it says system 32, so im assuming that is what it means. does that make a difference?
Well, in fact, don`t worry... you don`t seem to have changed it... it does not change without running specific commands and you must know very well what you`re doing. So, this does not seem to be the problem.

If you try to register again and use a new key, will it work?
In the <avast>\setup folder should have two log files: setup.log and error.log.
Can you post the last lines of them? Maybe we can troubleshoot this.
Did you try to uninstall and install again?

Beast Master

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 03:30:59 PM »
i didnt try to reinstall yet for two reasons. one i wanted to bring the message out for future reference where as you can possibly trace down its origin and why it does this. two i havent had the chance to reinstal so if i needed to go back to this message i could read and post the exact message and any changes. but i will reinstal sometime today. i dont get home till after 5 pm so i wont know until after then. i checked the log and will type its error message. there was two different ones. will post later as well. i believe the log will disappear with a new download and uninstal of this one so ill write it down. thanks. later.

Beast Master

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 03:58:10 AM »
i will post just the description since the rest details only the name,date, etc.
Description#1: storage query"insert into local properties(object,pr....
#2: ASWSimple Usage of Class Storage Failed,Error details
#3: storage query "insert into local objects (Type, Label....
And thats all the log says these fall under ERROR.
in the INFO Category it just says AVAST Update was successfully updated, or loaded.
i will try to reinstal next. im not sure what those error messages all mean but there you go.

Beast Master

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 08:11:35 AM »
ok. i installed new, then uninstalled problem AVAST. heres the results. its now working as before.  just a couple notes tho. i tried to use the same email i had with the previous program when signing up, it would not allow me to do so. so i used a different email.  i had to use new cutomer. also, i ran a test run and it worked fine. then i entered my original key, and i began getting an error message that said could not write to the file because the file already exists. i assume this is because maybe the previous avast has residency in the root directory. also the previous AVAST must have somehow corrupted or when updating a file may have been corrupted by who knows what but nonetheless corrupted it causing the entire program to be corrupted. i appreciate your time and now if this ever happens again i know what to do. anyone reading this can learn from this as well. thanks, ill be back just to read the forum or answer any questions and comments. steve