Author Topic: avast! 4 Home - Japanese version cause my XP Home ERROR!  (Read 6963 times)

blacksmith

avast! 4 Home - Japanese version cause my XP Home ERROR!
« on: September 20, 2006, 09:03:41 AM »
Hi, avast,

I'd like to thank for your greate service.
But, I met one serious problem after installing your software. Following is what I did yesterday.

1) I installed the "avast! 4 Home - Japanese version" and then followed the suggestion to reboot my Toshiba Dynabook.

2) The avast started to scan my computer while booting my computer.

3) The avast found 3 error files, things like {Internal error} or something. I just didn't remember it very clear.

4) The XP Home ( Japaness version ) booting procedure kept on going, and the stoped with this message: "STOP: c0000221: unknown Hard Error"

5) Then I tried to reboot my Dynabook. But nothing improved.

I have installed a vast! 4 Home Chinese Traditional version on my XP Pro ( Chinese Traditional version ), and it works very fine!

I don't know what's going now and the computer is dead.
Please help, if someone know how to solve this problem.

Regards,
blacksmith
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 09:15:25 AM by blacksmith »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: avast! 4 Home - Japanese version cause my XP Home ERROR!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 09:49:24 AM »
So, do I understand it correctly that this error occurs after the boot-time scanner finished?
How about booting to "Last known good" configuration, or into safe mode? (F8 before Windows start booting)

blacksmith

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 10:22:17 AM »
So, do I understand it correctly that this error occurs after the boot-time scanner finished?
How about booting to "Last known good" configuration, or into safe mode? (F8 before Windows start booting)

It occured after the boot-time scanner finished.
I did both of these two items, but still got the same result.

Thanks for your fast and kindly support, igor.

Regards,
blacksmith

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 10:40:30 AM »
Was there any virus detected during the scan? (I don't mean any errors, but rather I'd like to know if you instructed avast! to delete any infected files during the scan)
So, even if you boot into the safe mode, Windows crash before starting up?

blacksmith

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 11:27:15 AM »
No virus was detected.

I remember while into the safe mode, Windows crashed in one minute after I chose the safe mode. But I don't remember if the central Windows logo showed or not. I need to check this this evening, because I am at office now. I'll report this portion later at my friend's home or tomorrow at office.

Another, I am sure one thing that while into the normal mode, Windows crashed after the central Windows logo showed. And more, I took the hard disk to my office and I could access the data without problem.

If you need me to do more test or to remember some things necessary, please let me know.
Many thanks!

Regards,
blacksmith

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 04:11:20 PM »
Well, I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest... if the problem occurs even in Safe mode, I think it isn't really caused by avast!, because avast! drivers are not loaded (in safe mode).
According to what google returns for the mentioned error, I'd say that there's a problem with reading some critical file from disk (i.e. a hard disk problem). Isn't there any path in the error? - something like
c0000221 Unknown Hard Error 1\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll
?

blacksmith

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 03:48:45 AM »
Thanks, igor.

The weird is there is only "c0000221 Unknown Hard Error" without any path!
I believe your avast is a great software. So, I'll try to solve the problem around my hard disk now. I'll report the result if any good news.

Anyway, I do appreciate your support.

Regards,
blacksmith

Iso-G

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 04:36:22 PM »
Hello blacksmith,

So.. Do you have any additional info about avast! under Japanese Windows ?
I have private Japanese forums, so I'm very intereted in your post.
I'm happy, if you give any other additional info for Japanese users.
Thanks in advance.

Iso-G

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 05:09:43 PM »
I would probably suggest to run a disk check (maybe it would discover some problematic sectors). However, if you can't boot into Windows, it might be a problem...  :-\

blacksmith

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 04:18:14 AM »
Hi, everyone,

Just as igor's suggestion, I ran a disk check yesterday. Then I found "7" broken blocks. I think this was the reason caused the problem. Unfortunately, the repairing work was failed. So, it's now another thing. So, Iso-G, sumimasen, I don't have any further info for you. I like to study about computers. If you like, please write to me.

Finally, I'd like to thank igor's great support.

Regards,
blacksmith

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 10:03:31 AM »
Yes, that's what I somehow expected - bad blocks on the disk, making important files unreadable.

If the data can't be repaired (which is rather likely), you may be able to repair the Windows installation (i.e. fix the corrupted files) using Windows installation CD (there's an option to repair the existing installation there, as far as I know).

blacksmith

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 11:03:25 AM »
Hi, igor,

I tried this way but the damage was too serious so that I can't repair it. So, I tried other way to fix it.

Regards,
mike

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 01:46:54 PM »
I tried this way but the damage was too serious so that I can't repair it. So, I tried other way to fix it.
Mike, to get rid of 'damaged blocks' you'll need to format it (more than once) in others file system: FAT32 and FAT, EXT2 and EXT3 and REISERSF and SWAP (Linux file systems). Deleting the partition, creating a new one, 10 to 20 times will be enough...
I get correct more than 10 HDD with bad blocks doing a very tedious, aleatorious, formating formating formating...
You can do it with partition applications and patience.
Oh, of course, save the data you can before you start.
This is not 'logical', it just works  :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 04:00:29 PM »
Well... I wouldn't do that. I mean, I believe you get rid of the bad blocks this way... for a while - but I'd say they come back soon. So, I'd rather mark the weak blocks as bad, so they are not used anymore - or much better, throw the disk away and get a new one, if possible.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 04:12:31 PM »
Well... I wouldn't do that. I mean, I believe you get rid of the bad blocks this way... for a while - but I'd say they come back soon.
They won't. I tested them over 5 years after that.
If you want to believe me. It works.  ::)
Something is the partition geometry and surface is corrected/altered. I've spent 5 hours helping a guy in the US (He was here at avast forums too) by IM and it worked.
I've tested in quite some old HDD too. The bad blocks do not come back.

So, I'd rather mark the weak blocks as bad, so they are not used anymore
This does not work sometimes and then, for any reason, the bad blocks reproduce themselves like rabbits and whole disk, files, etc. are lost.

or much better, throw the disk away and get a new one, if possible.
This is not a solution but a final word about the issue.
The best things in life are free.