Author Topic: Access Denied  (Read 2059 times)

mover

Access Denied
« on: September 22, 2006, 11:42:14 AM »
Hi.
I have been using home edition for about a year now and I am quite happy with it,
My Question is, on occassions I have downloaded files from file sharing websites,ie Limewire, I recieve the usual warning  about maleware and I choose the "no action " option. When I unzip the file and try to install it I am presented with message "access to specified device path or file is denied". Can I assume that Avast is stopping this action if so how do I overide it?.
regards
Brian.... win 2k pro

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Access Denied
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 01:41:43 PM »
Can I assume that Avast is stopping this action if so how do I overide it
Most probably... if you overide it you'll get infected :'(
But if you want to do this anyway... well, you must disable avast protection (on-access scanning)  :-\ :'( :'( :'(
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Access Denied
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 03:04:20 PM »
The No Action is basically don't delete it or send it to the chest, etc. and not 'let it execute' so if you want to take that risk you would have to pause standard shield and I can't see any good reason for this. Why buy a dog and complain when it barks or defends you.

Why would you want to override it ?
Unless you know it is malware free and you can really only know this by inspection, check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner
Or Jotti - Multi engine on-line virus scanner if any other scanners here detect them it is less likely to be a false positive. You can't do this with the file in the chest, you will need to move it out.

What program is so important that you would risk infection just to use it ?
There must be other alternatives to this that aren't infected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security