Author Topic: Adobe Reader no Longer works  (Read 1901 times)

Offline lynksolutions

Adobe Reader no Longer works
« on: August 16, 2020, 07:23:45 PM »
All of a sudden my Adobe doesn't work (Win7). File  api-ms-win-crt-string|1-1-0.dll is said to be corrupted. I searched Cdrive and found dozens of this file, many of them with Avast in the name, so thought maybe Avast screwed something up. Any ideas?

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Adobe Reader no Longer works
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 05:22:41 PM »
All of a sudden my Adobe doesn't work (Win7). File  api-ms-win-crt-string|1-1-0.dll is said to be corrupted. I searched Cdrive and found dozens of this file, many of them with Avast in the name, so thought maybe Avast screwed something up. Any ideas?

Hi,

Many programs use api-ms-win-crt-string|1-1-0.dll
Try to
re-install the application that caused the error message.
Or repair/reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable

Offline lynksolutions

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 07:24:45 PM »
Thanks r@vast. I've tried un-installing & re-installing Adobe Reader but still doesn't work. i'll try that again. (I also installed CCleaner Registry repair which didn't work). Then i'll try to find this "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable" you mentioned. I'm not that computer literate but I'll try. Thanks, Gene

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 11:10:25 AM »
Thanks r@vast. I've tried un-installing & re-installing Adobe Reader but still doesn't work. i'll try that again. (I also installed CCleaner Registry repair which didn't work). Then i'll try to find this "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable" you mentioned. I'm not that computer literate but I'll try. Thanks, Gene

Hi,
Please try the below for:

Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages (Re-install)
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time (this will open the Run box).
2) Type “control” and press Enter to open Control Panel.
3) Click (Programs) Programs and Features.
4) Right-click on each program with the name of “Microsoft Visual C++ **** Redistributable” and then select Uninstal (note the versions) .
5) Visit the Microsoft Visual C++ downloads website ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads ), download and install the programs you have just uninstalled.
6) Restart your computer.