Author Topic: avast blocks downloads  (Read 3870 times)

Offline zelvytei

avast blocks downloads
« on: August 22, 2020, 07:10:32 PM »
Hello,

I was using Google Chrome as my main browser for a few years, however a few months ago I suddenly wasn't able to download any files from pdf, photos, to bank statements, etc. it just says "failed - virus scan failed" when I try to download a file. I switched to Avast browser and now I can download everything, however it still bugs me that I can't use Google Chrome anymore due to download issues. At first I thought it was Google Chrome problem and re-installed it again, however I still can't download anything. I tried other browsers as well, but if it's not Avast Browser, I can't download anything. Does anyone know what may be the problem? I tried searching the forum for an answer but haven't found it yet. Also, I tried adding sites to the exception list, however it still failed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast blocks downloads
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 07:21:37 PM »
Some details might help:
What Avast Version Avast Free/Premium and version number are you using ?
What Operating System and version are you using ?
What Firewall are you using ?
Are you using a VPN ?

The Avast Secure Browser is a Chromium based browser, so it is somewhat strange you are having an issue with Chrome.

I don't use Chrome (so I can't say), I use Firefox and have no issue with downloading files, etc.

Can you post a screenshot of this "failed - virus scan failed" that you mention isn't something (related to avast) that I'm aware of.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline zelvytei

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 08:04:38 PM »
I'm using free Avast (it's says it's the newest ver. not sure if there is a number anywhere), Windows 10 and I don't use VPN
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 10:18:14 PM by zelvytei »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 09:13:46 PM »
That is certainly no Avast Alert that I have ever seen (see attached image 1).
Avast alerts are usually in your face and you know it is avast alerting.
Do you have any other security based programs installed ?

Have you recently added any Google extensions that checks downloads, etc. ?
Or do you have any security based browser extensions ?
Obviously the Avast Secure Browser (ASB) has a restricted number of extensions to help preserve this Security, this is probably why you don't see this in ASB.

I'm not sure if I have recently read something on Google including something like this in Chrome.

One thing you could try is restart Chrome without extensions, a bit like the option in Firefox (see attached image 2)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline zelvytei

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 09:57:02 PM »
Afterall, you are probably right about it not being Avast problem. when I bought my laptop two years ago I started using McAfee Antivirus since it was recommended to me and it offers half a year trial for free (if I remember correctly), after the trial period ran out I installed Avast and I thought I deleted McAfee (and indeed I  can no longer see it in my computer) however, I just noticed that McAfee web advisor extension is still in my Google Chrome and it may be what is causing the problem. So I will try to find a way to disable it and see if that works. Thank you very much for your help ^_^

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 12:09:27 AM »
You're welcome.

You should be able to uninstall it like any other Chrome extension.

That said, I don't know how it would keep up to date with threats/detections (and why all of a sudden this happens), perhaps it uses the cloud or worse downloads signatures/detections, etc. and stores them on your system.