Author Topic: Problems Loading Websites like Yahoo and Twitter; possible Malware from Website?  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Jobber

For the last few weeks, I've been downloading pdf versions of mostly Library type books from a website.

However, I have recently noticed my computer acting weird as a result.

I have problems loading websites like Yahoo and Twitter; it takes a while, like the computer has constipation.

Also, sometimes, though very infrequently, if I try to go to Yahoo a web page advertising McAfee Antivirus pops up.

Can you help me try and get my computer back to speed?

Do you notice any malware on my computer?

Here is my Computer Information again:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570k CPU @ 3.40GHz   3.80Ghz

System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (7.90GB usable)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Howdy Jobber,

Do you have remnants of another (AV) solution that came with your computer still on that machine?
Two dogs guarding the same porch is not a good thing, they could start fighting amongs themselves,
so two resident av solutions cannot combine and may lead to such experiences.
Avast may also conflict with certain other resident security products.

Wait for a qualified remover to appear here and see whether this is the case,
and let him help you with the cleansing routine,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Jobber

Howdy Jobber,

Do you have remnants of another (AV) solution that came with your computer still on that machine?
Two dogs guarding the same porch is not a good thing, they could start fighting amongs themselves,
so two resident av solutions cannot combine and may lead to such experiences.
Avast may also conflict with certain other resident security products.

Wait for a qualified remover to appear here and see whether this is the case,
and let him help you with the cleansing routine,

polonus

As far as I know and recall, and I sort of checked, the computer did not come with any Anti-Virus program installed beyond Windows Defender.

There was definitely no McAfee pre-installed when I ordered my computer six years ago.

I myself installed Avast!, Malwarebytes, and SuperAntispyware, and that's all I got.

The only recent program download I have made is the Tor Browser.

The McAfee web page popped up again today one time. I took a snipshot of it (Attached).

Pages seem to take around a minute to load as I scroll down a page of store coupons. Seems to help if Minimize the page using the Minimize symbol in the Upper Right corner of the browser and reopen it (with the 2 overlapping "boxes" symbol for "Restore Down" with the X symbol for "Close" next to it).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 08:51:43 PM by Jobber »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Hi Jobber,

Thank you for mentioning, now we can near it to a trio-solution incompatibility.
avast and MBAM & Superantispyware are incompatible working alongside each other.
Some non-residents and resident solutions can work alongside each other,
some protection and av-solutions are both resident and sort of go for and after each other's detection,
so weird behavior, FP's and the like. Not a good idea, more is not better there!
Eventually your OS will slow down and sometimes come to a grinding halt.

See it like having two dogs having to guard your porch and the two start fighting between each other.
That is what you having with such a combination.

Avast and MBAM have incompatibility problems and Superantispyware is not an adviced solution to use.

So by uninstalling on by one you can establish for yourself where the crux lies, creating the problems you mention..

polonus

« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 12:36:25 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Jobber

Hi Jobber,

Thank you for mentioning, now we can near it to a trio-solution incompatibility.
avast and MBAM & Superantispyware are incompatible working alongside each other.
Some non-residents and resident solutions can work alongside each other,
some protection and av-solutions are both resident and sort of go for and after each other's detection,
so weird behavior, FP's and the like. Not a good idea, more is not better there!
Eventually your OS will slow down and sometimes come to a grinding halt.

See it like having two dogs having to guard your porch and the two start fighting between each other.
That is what you having with such a combination.

Avast and MBAM have incompatibility problems and Superantispyware is not an adviced solution to use.

So by uninstalling on by one you can establish for yourself where the crux lies, creating the problems you mention..

polonus

I asked about this issue many moons ago (gosh, I cannot believe it was 11 years ago!) on this forum, and I received this response:

Offline Jtaylor83

Avast Evangelist
    Advanced Poster
        View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Viruses Moved To Chest--Next Step???
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 07:59:43 PM »

apstpldr.dll and iifgetsr.dll are vundo related.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_154001.htm

rasesnet.tmp is a trojan dropper.

Winvsnet.tmp is a trojan-downloader.

I suggest:

SuperAntiSpyware Free, MBAM, or Spyware Terminator (exclude Crawler Toolbar, add on, and ClamAV module)
Report to moderator   Logged
Avast 6.0, MalwareByte's Anti-Malware, CCleaner, Defraggler, DownloadHelper, WOT, NoScript, KeyScrambler, Thunderbird, Firefox, Windows XP SP3.

Online Jobber

View Profile Personal Message (Online)

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 08:49:11 PM »

Modify

Can I run those anti-Spyware programs with Avast! 4.8 installed???

Or do I need to uninstall Avast! in order for the anti-Spyware programs to run???

I have heard you don't want two Virus Scanners running on your PC at the same time.

Sorry, I am kind of new to this stuff. :P

So I guess Avast! 4.8 is not designed to protect against Spyware in particular???

Or, am I mistaken about that.
Modify message
Report to moderator   71.205.247.15

Offline DavidR

Avast Überevangelist
    Certainly Bot
    No support PMs thanks
        View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 10:03:08 PM »

Yes you can, it is recommended that you run these programs (SAS & MBAM) from safe mode as they are more effective at removing what they might find. avast doesn't run in safe mode so no issue.

You can still run these other applications from normal mode for routine scans, e.g. when you aren't chasing a known infection, but I would recommend you 'pause' the Standard Shield.
Report to moderator   Logged
Windows 10 Home 2004 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 20.8.2432 (build 20.8.5684.602) UI-1.0.564/ WinPatrol+/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

I forgot the bit of advice from DavidR! to pause the Avast Standard Shield while running the other AV programs, and I don't normally go into safe mode because it is a hassle getting into it while running the other programs.

When it rains here the electric power goes out briefly (I'm not joking) which turned my computer off several times two days ago; having to restart and reboot the systems about 3 times appears to have helped quite a bit as far as downloading pages in general but I'm still getting some lag (probably around 30 secs for the page to Grocery store website to begin to load and then around 15 secs for the products to appear).

I stopped downloading the free Library books since I created this thread.

It seemed to my unexpert opinion is maybe the problem lies with downloading the books and that website?

I would scan each book with Avast! and then MBAM and SAS to see if they would detect any malware on the book's pdf. file. I was not getting any malaware from the scans, so I stopped scanning because it was just laborious doing that for each individual book.

Was anyone able to look and analyze the scans I included in the OP?

Anything look bad or suspicious?

Any other Anti-Virus scan programs I could use that would be recommended?

Now, I took a few small actions that helped my machine run better but it is not at 100% capacity because I'm still getting waiting times for loading pages from Twitter and Yahoo.com (the problem of loading for some reason is especially with those two websites!).

I will describe what I did in a later post.   
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 08:31:09 PM by Jobber »