Author Topic: Game file sizes could soon be 70% smaller ...  (Read 3075 times)

..::ReVaN::..

Game file sizes could soon be 70% smaller ...
« on: October 05, 2006, 12:58:34 PM »
One of the most interesting talks at London’s GDC (Games Developers Conference) this week came form one of the lesser known companies called Allegorithmic, who claim they will be able to reduce texture file sizes in games by up to 70%...

source:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/10/04/Game_file_sizes_could_soon_be_70_smaller/   :o

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Game file sizes could soon be 70% smaller ...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 07:35:21 PM »
That means much faster and better performance even on slower systems powered by some older models of video cards... heaven for gamers and of course revolution in game/multimedia development. Wonderful news ! I trully hope this will become a standard one day.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Game file sizes could soon be 70% smaller ...
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 07:46:08 PM »
Well, I wouldn't be very optimistic (as usually, with similar claims). They say that the quality is the same after the size reduction, but other people might have different opinions. There may be additional CPU power needed to uncompress the reduced textures, you'll need to update the game engines, "train people to use the new system" (whatever it means)... let's wait with judgement until somebody uses it for real ;)