Author Topic: Avast Splash Screen & Registration  (Read 2335 times)

AlanCarcas

Avast Splash Screen & Registration
« on: October 06, 2006, 12:28:17 PM »
This morning, when I tried to do a full scan the Splash Screen hung.  I tried to enter the Registration number but was told it was invalid.  However, somehow, I actually achieved the scan. But, when I tried to find out what the problem was, the Splash screen wouldn't load and I got the message "Avast Splash screen cannot load configuration."  Earlier I got a message about unable to find "Storage" whatever that might beas i can't find any reference to it in Help.

I would add that I am in the very early stages of upgrading from W98 to WinXP home edition, and browsing the CD yesterday may have tweaked something.  Any suggestions.

AlanCarcas

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Splash Screen & Registration
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 03:34:02 PM »
What version of avast do you have Home or Pro ?
What is the version number, the latest version is 4.7.892 ?

You will need to reinstall avast if you upgrade to XP from win98, so it would be best to uninstall avast and reboot before making the upgrade to XP and when complete install avast a fresh.

It would probably be best to download the latest version of avast and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall avast under XP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

AlanCarcas

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 05:33:11 PM »
My Avast version is 4.7.889.  Thanks for the advice David.  After spending most of the day trying to sort out the problem have come to the same conclusion.  Have re-installed Avast 4.6 and re-registered so that I am not without AV protection and will follow the rest of your advice before I upgrade.  I think all of this has come from browsing the upgrade CD.  Can't leave well alone!  Now I can get on with all the other bits of disk housekeeping before I finally upgrade.  Lesson well and truly learned.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 05:49:41 PM »
Good luck, welcome to the forums.

Let us know if you ned more help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security