Author Topic: new virus spreads on internet!  (Read 2098 times)

mengfl

new virus spreads on internet!
« on: October 23, 2006, 02:39:17 AM »
from TV ,i know there an new virus appears and spreads on internet.
it could destroy all *.EXE files,and make PC doesn't work and make virus software shut down.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: new virus spreads on internet!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 02:58:11 AM »
By the time anything like this gets on TV it is very much old information and not something you should concern yourself with. Generalised virus warnings are of little use, without details it is difficult to take precautions.

Take preventative action, ensure your anti-virus, firewall, Operating System, etc. are up to date. Practice safe hex, don't open email attachments that are unsolicited, unknown, unexpected, even from friends, the from address can be forged. The same goes for clicking links on the same emails, double check.

You might also consider proactive protection, in order to place files in the system folders and create registry entries you need permission. Prevention is much better and theoretically easier than cure.

Whilst browsing or collecting email, etc. if you get infected then the malware by default inherits the same permissions that you have for your user account. So if the user account has administrator rights, the malware has administrator rights and can reap havoc. With limited rights the malware can't put files in the system folders, create registry entries, etc. This greatly reduces the potential harm that can be done by an undetected or first day virus, etc.

Check out the link to DropMyRights (in my signature below) - Browsing the Web and Reading E-mail Safely as an Administrator. This obviously applies to those NT based OSes that have administrator settings, winNT, win2k, winXP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mengfl

Re: new virus spreads on internet!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 11:00:07 AM »
worm-wiking