Author Topic: ashserv.exe takes my CPU  (Read 2881 times)

Metallo

ashserv.exe takes my CPU
« on: October 18, 2006, 04:12:03 PM »
Hi,

I've been using AVAST Home edition since years, never a problem untill 1h ago.

I was busy updating some Canon software, here is what:

ZoomBrowser
PhotoRecord
EasyPhotoPrint
Easy-WebPrint
CD-LabelPrint
Easy-PhotoPrintPlus

At a certain point, I noticed that my system was very slow therefore I checked in the processes:

ashserv.exe is waving between 70 to 80%, then I looked at the "last scanned" file AVAST is busy checking and saw that the interested one is ZALog.txt.
Now, I don't know if this is a case or what, but I am asking what to do to solve this.

Thank you!
Alex

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
Re: ashserv.exe takes my CPU
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 04:30:42 PM »
"I was busy updating some Canon software..."

"ashserv.exe is waving between 70 to 80%, then I looked at the "last scanned" file AVAST is busy checking and saw that the interested one is ZALog.txt.
Now, I don't know if this is a case or what, but I am asking what to do to solve this."

I'd say Avast! was just checking the contents of your updates of the Canon software , obviously in ZALog.txt , which would have recorded the events. Surely this CPU 'drain' didn't persist  for long? If so post back as to the outcome , i.e.  Zone Alarm settings, memory process usage of ashserv.exe now , and any other info that is peculiar .  :)

Metallo

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 04:57:58 PM »
Unfortunately the situation is still the same, I use ZA free edition, please let me know exactly which settings you want to know, but bear in mind that I did not change them at all.

Here the processes.

Thank you
Alex

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 03:46:02 PM »
Hi Metallo .
Just searched the forum and there's a lot of references to ashserv.exe chewing up all CPU . Do a search "ashserv.exe" and see if there's any similar instances that fit your software processes/programs ...
All I can say to help out firstly is to check your Program permissions in Zone Alarm. Make sure everything is checked to ask permission to connect to the Internet. (Skype ?)  Left click the ? ; X ; or 'tick' , to change the permissions. Not many if any programs should have permission to fully connect without you knowledge .
Looking at your snapshot , what's sbrowser.exe (?) is FreeRAM XP pro.exe settings o.k. ?  , plus please check that you know what the running processes are so can eliminate and target suspect running processes.
On my Comp. ashserve.exe is using 8,228 k of memory , 0 CPU .
Not much else I can say except seems something happened when you updated those programs you  previously listed as 'Canons software'  . Seems only change you've made before this CPU spike . Good luck  checking out what's the culprit , plus someone here may have some better idea why ashserv.exe is out of constraint .
Cheers Metallo .
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 04:12:47 PM by Abraxas »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 09:15:45 PM »
ashserv.exe is waving between 70 to 80%, then I looked at the "last scanned" file AVAST is busy checking and saw that the interested one is ZALog.txt.
Now, I don't know if this is a case or what, but I am asking what to do to solve this.
Well... it's not easy... you can try adding ZALog.txt (with its path) into the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning) Exclusion list:

Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

If that does not work, can you post back? Thanks.
The best things in life are free.