Author Topic: Software False Positives/Malicious Code Pop-Ups On Websites-Answered  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Spiritual2016

I just rebooted my computer and there was an Adobe Flash Player pop-up that support will stop soon and to delete the software.

I deleted it but then an Avast pop-up was displayed with a false positive threat that it was blocked:

There is nothing in the Virus Vault and the program was delete in Add/Remove Programs.

1. Why would Avast detect a false positive on a legit piece of software?
2. Has anyone else noticed an increased amount of false positives recently?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 03:52:39 AM by Spiritual2016 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: IDP Generic Pop-Up For Adobe Flash Player
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 09:54:24 PM »
1. Why would Avast detect a false positive on a legit piece of software?

If you know how to write the perfect behaviour algorithm that never generate a false positive then every security vendor will buy it from you and you will be a millionaire

Offline Spiritual2016

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 10:01:51 PM »
Hello Pondus-Nice to be acquainted with you and thank you for being so knowledgeable.

1. False positives (with regards to legit installed software) can be ignored then?

2. When a malicious code pop-up appears on a legit website, am I correct that it is best to close the website and revisit it a week later? If no further pop-ups appear, it is safe. If the pop-up continues to appear, close the website and let the website operator know? Yes/No?

« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 10:06:14 PM by Spiritual2016 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 10:07:32 PM »
2. When a malicious code pop-up appears on a legit website, am I correct that it is best to close the website and revisit it a week later? If no further pop-ups appear, it is safe. If the pop-up continues to appear, close the website and let the website operator know? Yes/No?
This i already answered in your other topic ...  Reply #10

Merry christmas and a happy new year

Offline Spiritual2016

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 10:10:34 PM »
What specifically is reply 7? Stay away for a week and try again once the web admin fix the issue?

Also, you did not address whether false positives (with regards to legit installed software) can be ignored?.

Am I correct that the computer clock can be accessed through Control Panel->Time and Date Settings?

I am a 90 year old female who takes a little longer to process details. As a result, if you are no longer interested in dealing with this thread, I will wait for someone else who can answer them.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 10:19:44 PM by Spiritual2016 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Software False Positives/Malicious Code Pop-Ups On Websites
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 12:39:30 AM »
What specifically is reply 7? Stay away for a week and try again once the web admin fix the issue?

Also, you did not address whether false positives (with regards to legit installed software) can be ignored?.

Am I correct that the computer clock can be accessed through Control Panel->Time and Date Settings?

I am a 90 year old female who takes a little longer to process details. As a result, if you are no longer interested in dealing with this thread, I will wait for someone else who can answer them.

Relying on a web admin to fix their site is relying on the unknown, they probably wouldn't know they are hacked/etc.. They should be reported in the same way as suspect false positives on file/s as outlined below.

False positives should never be ignored (legit, how would you know or otherwise), they should be investigated, in these forums is a start point.

If considered a false positive, they can be reported to Avast for further investigation.
Reporting Possible False Positive File or Website - https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php.

Just left mouse click on the time displayed on the bottom right of the screen, that open and has a link to the Date & Time settings.  Here you can synchronise the time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Spiritual2016

Re: Software False Positives/Malicious Code Pop-Ups On Websites-Unanswered
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 12:49:48 AM »
DavidR:

Thank you for reaching out.

Reporting a malicious pop-up on existing software or on a website makes complete sense.

However,

a) If I find myself on a legit website and the Avast malicious code pop-up appears, is it best to just X out of the website rather than refreshing the page/closing the tab and reopening the website?

b) If an Avast malicious code pop-up appears when deleting an 'already installed' piece of software (Adobe Flash), should it just be inferred that it is a false positive and that Avast is being 'overly-sensitive' since it is acting like malware?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 01:06:21 AM by Spiritual2016 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 01:05:00 AM »
Avast should have blocked access to the site if it has actually alerted. 

That state shouldn't change, so close the browser window or tab and move on.  The internet is where the greatest amount of malware comes from and that can even be legitimate sites (or sites made to look like legit sites), if they have any weakness in their security sites can get hacked to deliver malware.  Today no problem, tomorrow no guarantees, this is why it shouldn't just be ignored but investigated as I mentioned previously.

As far as I'm concerned on my computer I investigate any alert I might get, But it has been a very long time since I had any alert and in most cases it has been investigating from reports in the forums. 

If you have a piece of software that you have been using for a very long time and Avast (or other antivirus) suddenly detects (and sends it to the virus chest) it there is a possibility it is a false positive.  You can report this from within the avast Virus Chest.  See attached image of an old detection I have left in the virus chest as an example.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Spiritual2016

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 01:23:01 AM »
1a. To be clear about the installed software (as already mentioned, Adobe Flash), the pop-up appeared when I deleted it (I deleted it because support stops at year end and I do not have any use for it) but there was 'no' notification in the Virus Vault.

b. Also, since (1a) was 'blocked,' there is no threat to my computer so why is it necessary to report it?

2a. To be clear about a pop-up on a legit website (by legit, I mean frequently-visited), the tab should be closed and the website should be reported. Once investigated though, how will I know when it is safe to visit the website again?

b. Again,  since (b) was 'blocked,' there is no threat to my computer so why is it necessary to report it?

« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 01:58:11 AM by Spiritual2016 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 02:41:00 AM »
1a.  Adobe Flash has more than one file and since you don't mention any details, I really can't comment other than the general points I have already given.
1b.  Essentially the threat (or potential threat) was on your computer otherwise avast wouldn't have reported it.  If you feel it is or was wrong, that is when you have to follow the reporting advice already given.

2a.  It doesn't matter if it is a legit web site or one you have visited many times, as I said:
Quote from: DavidR
Today no problem, tomorrow no guarantees, this is why it shouldn't just be ignored but investigated as I mentioned previously.

2b.  You installed avast to protect your system, so when it finds/blocks something it has to warn you or you would be none the wiser to the potential for infection.

Offline Spiritual2016

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 03:09:00 AM »
2a. Once investigated, how will I know when it is safe to visit the website again?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 03:23:19 AM »
2a. Once investigated, how will I know when it is safe to visit the website again?

If you report it to avast you may get a response if it was a false positive.

Otherwise you would have to do as you suggested wait a while and try again and see if you get another avast alert (effectively blocking access).

Me The site would have to be very important to me and even so I would be looking for another option that provides the content that you went to the other site for.

Offline Spiritual2016

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 03:48:32 AM »
DavidR:

You have been extremely helpful and answered everything that I wanted to know.

Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Software False Positives/Malicious Code Pop-Ups On Websites-Answered
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2020, 11:49:35 AM »
You're welcome.