Author Topic: problem with homepage  (Read 6265 times)

tls

Re: problem with homepage
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2006, 02:16:47 AM »
Reading the FAQs on the HughesNet/Direcway forum, I was under the impression a separate firewall on my computer would be needed.  This question in particular:

"Q: How do I know my ports are secured? (#2467)   

A: If you don't have a firewall or a Router, chances are that you definitely have one or more insecure ports that can't be closed. The best way to find out is to scan your computer from outside for open ports. DSLR provides two different free port scans. The first thing you should do is to perform a basic port scan of your computer which will give you a fast result.

The next logical step would be to start securing your machine by choosing a software firewall, a router or both."

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2467

parvati

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2006, 06:20:14 AM »
the firewall thing ---i'm sorry i can't offer a better explanation as i don't understand either.  they told me i absolutely had to remove my firewall or i wouldn't be able to connect to the internet via them.  anyway, today i ran the standard avast scan followed by the boot scan.  during the std scan 2 files were moved to chest (one being the hacdef which has been very resistant to eradication or even containment).  the boot scan came up absolutely clean.  whew! do i dare smile .. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2006, 02:13:36 PM »
If someone told me I absolutely had to get rid of my firewall I would absolutely get rid of them.
Who has told you this, who is they ?
What is your ISP (Internet Service Provider), who you pay your money to to connect ?

They can't protect your system without you having their firewall program installed on YOUR system, it can't possibly protect YOUR system if the software/firewall protection is at the Server/ISP end.

So does your ISP provide you with a software firewall (they might not have called it that, security package) to install on your system ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security