Author Topic: AVAST! response (or it's absence)  (Read 8687 times)

Lord KiRon

AVAST! response (or it's absence)
« on: October 25, 2006, 10:50:45 PM »
Hi ,
I found several days ago 3 !!! trojans that not detected by Avast! while detected by Kaspersky , AVG and AntVir (one of them also detected by Symantec) .

Send then to Avast! - no reply , yestuday resent them again ... still no response.
Is it always like this ? What is usual time to respond to new threat ?

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: AVAST! response (or it's absence)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 11:18:23 PM »
Hi Lord KiRon,

Just for the record what were the names of these three trojans? what is your OS?
So our forum members can get the technical info on these trojans.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 12:00:53 AM »
You will not usually receive a response unless they require more information. The virus[at]avast.com receives in excess of 4000 emails per day, which have to be checked, prioritised and actioned.

If you zipped and password protected the sample/s you sent (so email server AVs en route don't delete the sample), then it should have got through, if you didn't receive a bounce.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mouniernetwork

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 03:51:17 AM »
This has been a going on issue but the thing like Tech said that they can not check all the received files in one day but when there is an emergency they said that an update can be out within 10 minutes which is pretty good.

However I was wondering how many people actually check the viruses is it only one person ?
Because as some of you might have noticed Avast is getting more popular so the more time goes by the more samples will be received so maybe there should be a second person checking that email adress.

And lastly I remember that igor mentioned that most of the emails they get is junk so maybe there could be a program for experienced users to send viruses with the user specifying wheather they are possitive that its a virus or that they just think itsa suspicious. I think that it would priorize the emails and so help the avast staff get the possitives first.

Hope this helps.

Al968

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 02:37:55 PM »
Tech said ?

There is more than one team member checking the emails and samples.

The emails send via the chest submission function (although they are sent to the same email address) are filtered into another mailbox and handled differently.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Lord KiRon

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 07:48:21 PM »
OK , first I have to say that the trojan droppers detected were NOT detected by AVAST so they were not in chest (They were detected by two other antiviruses).

But the story had happy ending - today's update detect all 3 of them.
If anyone interested they detected as :

Win32:Agent-CJJ [Trj]

Win32:Adloader-FE [Trj]

Win32:Tibs-VY [Trj]

Good job avast team but I really would like to be able to recieve at least some kind of automatic responce at least to know my mail got thru next time.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 08:44:30 PM »
This has been a going on issue but the thing like Tech said that they can not check all the received files in one day but when there is an emergency they said that an update can be out within 10 minutes which is pretty good.

Tech said ?

Well, I can't speak for Alwil team.
Karel is doing the best for our updates.
But for sure, I can't speak that they don't analyse all files.
I can say, by experience, that they don't answer all the emails that they receive. They make focus on the virus database update and not answering the emails. Which seems to be the best policy. First security and work than good relationship  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 09:00:41 PM »
<snip>
But the story had happy ending - today's update detect all 3 of them.
<snip>
Good job avast team but I really would like to be able to recieve at least some kind of automatic responce at least to know my mail got thru next time.

I would agree with that, an auto responder is so easy to set-up just to acknowledge receipt of the sample I don't know why they don't have it. I know some don't like auto responders and a personal reply for over 4000 emails per day isn't practical. But, any form of acknowledgement would have my vote, I have suggested it before, not knowing if the sample has been received could make you send it again adding to the load.

mouniernetwork

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 09:10:09 PM »
sorry DavidR, for some reason I thogh that Tech had said it  :-\
Well anyway I do agreee that an email saying that the virus was received would be nice  ;)

Thanks

Al968

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 09:15:16 PM »
Well anyway I do agreee that an email saying that the virus was received would be nice  ;)
I agree...
It would be nice if the user can choose about receiving or not an email answer by a setting in the forum profile, for instance.
The submition process is not as fast neither as good as we want.
But, anyway, when an user submit a lot of files maybe he/she doesn't want to receive an automated answer for each submition. Could be boring...

mouniernetwork

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 09:17:12 PM »
yes thats also true.
Can we have the alwil word on this ?

Thanks

Al968

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 09:20:07 PM »
Can we have the alwil word on this ?
Hmmm... maybe... but there are tons of posts here last days... they will have a priority and discussing submition process is a 'long' story...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 09:44:47 PM »
I have to repeat - we're aware of the virus submission system currently being a weak spot in avast, and are working on it. A new system is in preparation. It's taking some time but I believe it will be well worth the effort (and wait).

Cheers
Vlk
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 09:55:05 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Lord KiRon

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 04:59:28 PM »
Today e-mailed to Avast! rpcc.dll thing detected ONLY (from ~20 antiviruses and anti-adwares I tried) by Privx1 and CastleCops ( http://fileinfo.prevx.com/spyware/qq455745092789-RPCC25941822/RPCC.DLL.html  , http://www.castlecops.com/o20list-310.html ).

A nasty thing - constantly downloads other trojan viruses ...

Let's see how long it will take for Avast! to analize and update ;)

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 02:46:45 PM »
A new system is in preparation.

Sounds great, keep up the good work!
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon