Author Topic: Odd CPU useage  (Read 880 times)

Offline jjw0842

Odd CPU useage
« on: December 21, 2020, 02:23:39 AM »
This is my first time on the form and im not sure if anyone else has this issue but even when avast is running in the background it uses alot of CPU. two tasks mainly. one is "avast service" which uses 20%-25% in the background sometimes and has no picture. the second is "Avast antivirus engine server" which uses about 10%-16% in the background. I've got a pretty solid processor so im not sure what this issue is.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Odd CPU useage
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 02:51:52 AM »
Avast is an on-access, resident antivirus, so it isn't dormant, when you are using the system it is going to be active and using some CPU and RAM scanning your activity.

Do you have any other security based software installed on your system ?

The avast service (is the main avast service) and the Avast antivirus engine server
You say what you are doing when you see these figures (which I would say are higher than normal) ?

You don't mention anything about your system Operating System, RAM and CPU (other than "I've got a pretty solid processor") ?

You can look at my specs below my post and this is on a laptop so nothing spectacular, but I don't see this kind of activity.  I'm not a gamer where I would expect it would get a better workout.  Only browsing and compiling this post and effectively zero CPU activity by avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security