Author Topic: CyberCapture sent my file to Avast virus labs  (Read 2187 times)

Offline njeriumerimangee

CyberCapture sent my file to Avast virus labs
« on: December 25, 2020, 08:03:05 PM »
Hello,

Avast sent my file to virus labs to check it for Malicious code and this file is really important to me.. What does this mean?

Does avast labs has my file are they able to see into it?

Please let me know asap because i need to change if they are able to see everything from that file.

Offline njeriumerimangee

Re: CyberCapture sent my file to Avast virus labs
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 08:16:29 PM »
https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Antivirus-CyberCapture-FAQ/

https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Antivirus-CyberCapture/

https://support.avast.com/

Already checked but didn't relief my concern.. Avast virus labs is an automatically software or that file is controlled personally by someone?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 08:23:04 PM »
Avast virus labs is an automatically software or that file is controlled personally by someone?
All virus labs today is automated because of the enormus amount of files that needs to be checked, manual work is only done in special cases.

And this is not something that is special for avast, all security vendors does this

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 09:06:51 PM »
Avast sent my file to virus labs to check it for Malicious code and this file is really important to me.. What does this mean?
<snip>

What was the file, I can only it was an executable file of sorts ?
It is most likely not to have been seen before (CyberCapture has not previously encountered.) and is probably unsigned (if an executable). Or I can't see the point  of sending it for analysis.

As far as I'm aware it is only a copy of the file that is sent for analysis, is there a copy of the file in its original location or in the virus chest ?

See attached images from this article https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/54/ this indicates that you have options as to what to do with the file and it should be in one of the two locations I mentioned.

I know when the dark brown stuff is hitting the fan it is hard to think logically.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline njeriumerimangee

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 09:50:22 PM »
<snip>

What was the file, I can only it was an executable file of sorts ?
It is most likely not to have been seen before (CyberCapture has not previously encountered.) and is probably unsigned (if an executable). Or I can't see the point  of sending it for analysis.

As far as I'm aware it is only a copy of the file that is sent for analysis, is there a copy of the file in its original location or in the virus chest ?

See attached images from this article https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/54/ this indicates that you have options as to what to do with the file and it should be in one of the two locations I mentioned.

I know when the dark brown stuff is hitting the fan it is hard to think logically.

It's an Bitcoin wallet QT Core.. Clicked bitcoin client to run it and CyberCapture appears and told me that this file is sent to labs to check.. Should i concern or should i change wallet immediately?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2020, 11:30:19 PM »
<snip quotes>
It's an Bitcoin wallet QT Core.. Clicked bitcoin client to run it and CyberCapture appears and told me that this file is sent to labs to check.. Should i concern or should i change wallet immediately?

First I'm an avast user and not a member of the Avast Team, so I can't speak for them.

Nor do I use B.i.t.c.o.i.n and have no other knowledge about it - other the many B.i.t.c.o.i.n spammers trying to post in the Avast Support Forums.  This doesn't give me a warm feeling about B.i.t.c.o.i.n if there is suck a huge spamming effort.

That aside - As I mentioned, I believe it should be a copy that gets sent rather the actual file, so it really should be in one of the two locations I mentioned.  Have you physically checked those locations ?

I don't know how difficult/complex (or the risk involved) changing the B.i.t.c.o.i.n wallet is.  That said, I would always air on the side of caution and safety.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline njeriumerimangee

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 12:16:50 AM »
<snip quotes>

First I'm an avast user and not a member of the Avast Team, so I can't speak for them.

Nor do I use B.i.t.c.o.i.n and have no other knowledge about it - other the many B.i.t.c.o.i.n spammers trying to post in the Avast Support Forums.  This doesn't give me a warm feeling about B.i.t.c.o.i.n if there is suck a huge spamming effort.

That aside - As I mentioned, I believe it should be a copy that gets sent rather the actual file, so it really should be in one of the two locations I mentioned.  Have you physically checked those locations ?

I don't know how difficult/complex (or the risk involved) changing the B.i.t.c.o.i.n wallet is.  That said, I would always air on the side of caution and safety.

Okay now im getting what you are saying... Soo CyberCapture has sent only Icon .exe but not the directory file C:/Users... etc, I'am right?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 01:58:14 AM »
<snip quotes>
Okay now im getting what you are saying... Soo CyberCapture has sent only Icon .exe but not the directory file C:/Users... etc, I'am right?

Well Yes (it sends a copy of the file) and No it wouldn't send the contents of the folder (unless it was also detecting those, which I doubt) and even then as I said (I believe it sends a copy of the file).

It as far as I'm aware it would only be sending a 'copy of the file' and not the actual file and the contents of the folder.  So in this case the contents of your folder should remain the same and the original file would be in the original location or the avast virus chest. 

So you really need to physically check those locations.