Author Topic: Strange icon when idle  (Read 2490 times)

aSDafDa

Strange icon when idle
« on: November 08, 2006, 04:19:34 PM »
Hello all, pardon my most likely newbie question!

Just noticed today that whenever the computer is idle for a few seconds, a little icon pops up in my system tray (separate from the Avast icon).  Here is a picture (I hope I have done it correctly):

It is hard to tell from the picture, but the icon is animated and acts like a white arrow bouncing around the border very fast, trying to get out.  This action is accompanied by harddrive activity (but no web activity that I could see). 

In the picture above,  on-Access protection is disabled, but I enabled it and the icon still shows up with exactly the same behavior.

The question is this:  Is this icon part of Avast?  If so, what does it mean?

Thanks everyone.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Strange icon when idle
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 05:05:14 PM »
That is the VRDB process you will find that you have set it to scan/generate when idle ?
Every three weeks the VRDB generated another integrity database for the files it covers, to be able to use the Repair function if one of these files happened to get infected. Check out the avast help file, Healing, VRDB.

I also notice you have a red circle with bar on the avast icon, is that there all the time as it is an indication that all isn't running smoothly ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

aSDafDa

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 05:29:49 PM »
Actually I just had Avast disabled at the moment - probably not the smartest thing to do but something I do occasionally to play games.

And thanks for your answer - appreciated!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 05:37:35 PM »
Actually I just had Avast disabled at the moment - probably not the smartest thing to do but something I do occasionally to play games.
Well... not the smartest thing specially if you're connected at that time  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 06:15:50 PM »

And thanks for your answer - appreciated!

You got that right, not the smartest thing to disable your protection especially as Tech said you are connected (on-line gaming, etc.).

Glad that I could help, welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security