Author Topic: I need help removing Alwil/Avast 4  (Read 4017 times)

jkksacto

I need help removing Alwil/Avast 4
« on: November 12, 2006, 08:00:41 PM »
I installed Alwil/Avast4 about a year ago and immediately had troubles after installation.  (I already had McAfee installed in my computer, so maybe that was my problem).  Anyway, I deleted Avast in every folder I could find referencing the "Alwil/Avast" program, and I additionally used 3 different registry cleaners in an attempt to delete every trace of the Avast program from my system.  But, I still had problems, and they all referred to Alwil/Avast.

Most recently, I've had troubles installing games and today I had trouble restoring my "Creative Soundblaster Live!" program's defaults.  Whenever I tried to set my Soundblaster's "default settings," I keep getting the message:

" 16 bit Windows Subsystem
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswMonVd.dll. An installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll initialization. Choose ‘Close’ to terminate the application.
              Close                     Ignore

I also get a similar messages when trying to install some of my games.  (I always get some computer message saying that some .dll file is missing). 

Can anybody help me with this problem?  And, also explain why I'm having so much trouble deleting every/ALL references to Alwil/Avast program in my system?  It's like trying to get rid of ants in your yard: impossible.

Many, many Thanks,
jeff k. - Sacramento, California

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: I need help removing Alwil/Avast 4
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 08:14:08 PM »
Deleting avast! folder is certainly not a good way to uninstall it. Normally, you would go to Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs and uninstall it from there.
Try the avast! uninstall utility - it should help you.

jkksacto

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 08:44:22 PM »
I already did that a year ago.  The First thing I ever did was uninstall Alwil/Avast from my Control Panel, but I still found it existing in many folders.  What do you do, then?  Well, for me, I keep uninstalling it wherever I see it.

What's the Avast "Uninstall Utility?"

jk

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 09:01:13 PM »
I think this is what you are after http://avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

jkksacto

Thanks guys!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 11:21:50 PM »
I think that did it.  Seems to be working ok, now. 

My Best,
jeff