Author Topic: Possible False Positive  (Read 2751 times)

Prime2515102

Possible False Positive
« on: November 15, 2006, 01:05:37 AM »
First off, the virus definition files and program are up to date: There has been no virus detected for these files until the virus definitions that were loaded today "current version 0648-2 - Server:download35.avast.com (67.15.227.25)".Also, "Program up to date (current version 4.7.892, Server: download45.avast.com (67.15.228.34)."

When my computer starts I get a virus warning for the program ATi Tray Tools(Omega Edition) .

The file location is C:\Program Files\Radeon Omega Drivers\v3.8.291\ATI Tray Tools\plugins\cpuload.dll. This plugin came with the program - it's not 3rd party. Also, the file comes up as infected doing a manual scan (right-click, "Scan C:\~\plugins\).

The virus being reported is: Win32:Small-CPI [Trj]

The second file reported as infected is: C:\Windows\System32\ActiveScan\pskavs.dll

Virus reported: Win32:CTX

I scanned the computer with Trend Micro's Housecall online virus scanner and everything came up clean.

I have had several viruses downloaded (archives - .zip and .rar) but were detected by Avast immediately upon completion of the download. The archives were never opened.

Also, I have not had any suspicious programs trying to access the internet according to ZoneAlarm Pro, there has been no unusual activity or system malfunction, this installation of Windows XP Pro was just installed about a week ago, and I have not opened any email attachments (actually I haven't even received any since Windows was installed). 

I was just wondering if these are false positives or do I have something to worry about. Should I uninstall Avast and try some trial versions of other antivirus software? Maybe a trial version instead of an online scanner? Maybe a different online scanner (recommendations please if that's the case)?

Thanks,

Prime

« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 01:10:12 AM by Prime2515102 »

Prime2515102

Re: Possible False Positive
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 01:44:37 AM »
I just tried Panda and Symantec online scanners and the system came up clean. I'm going to assume it's a false positive for now at least until the next definitions update or trouble starts.

EDIT: Nevermind - another thread covered this.

Prime
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 01:51:39 AM by Prime2515102 »